What did you do in the garden today?

I was in town yesterday and stopped by the Fleet store where I buy and get my riding mowers serviced. I saw the head mechanic outside waiting for delivery so I stopped and talked to him. I asked him if he was going to have any used riding mowers up for sale this year.

As a matter of fact, he had an old Murray riding mower with a 42 inch deck that he put in a brand new motor and the owner never came back to pick it up. He said that they were in the final stages of notification of abandoned equipment, and it might be for sale in a few weeks at a greatly reduced price. He said that everything checked out fine and worked. This is a mechanic I trust, so I checked out the mower and, other than looking old on the outside, everything was in order and it had a brand new engine.

So, I went into the store and talked to the shop manager and left my name and number for possible sale if the owner does not pay their repairs. Sounds like the store might offer the mower up for sale at half price of what they have into it just to clear it out of the shop. I said that is my kind of deal and I would be happy to relieve them of that mower at half price of the new engine.

With some luck, I might have a new (old, abandoned) riding mower in my shed in a few weeks. Even better, my larger 48 inch deck mowers do not fit on my little utility trailer, but the 42 inch deck Murray mower I saw yesterday will.

Here is a google picture of the closest mower I could find...

1684516136260.png

When I walked the garden today I noticed a few Canada thistle plants sprouting from the ground. I have a big problem with it in one of my raised beds, the largest one, and I didn't control it as I should have last year.

This year I'm going to keep on top of the problem and chop off every sprout I see coming out of the ground. It's pretty invasive because it spreads by running roots, and seeds. I've read that by cutting out the plants as they appear, the root system will eventually use up all its energy reserves and will die. So that's my plan. I'm guessing it will probaby take a couple of years to eradicate it.

All the sprouting seeds are looking good: beans, squash and cucumbers. I made a simple deer barrier around my horseradish plant using some narrow scraps of lumber, and it's doing its job.

And I learned that I have Black Barlow columbine growing in the single flower bed I have. It's a cool looking plant!

IMG_0955.JPG IMG_0962.JPG

Back
Top Bottom