What did you do in the garden today?

Maybe different-sized rocks and/or stumps, a couple giant ones, and put the smaller ones in groups. Maybe a special feature, like a bird-bath, in the center? Birds will feel safe bathing in an open space
This was a trial run.

like that, since they can see all around with no branches overhead where predators can sneak up on them.
Who cares, if doing it relaxes you, the point of it is the "doing" and not some final result.

I have a lot of volunteer potatoes growing in the space between where my potatoes are planted and sweet potatoes will be. I was going to grow green beans there, and fortunately, beans and taters are good companions. I'll just plant beans where the potatoes aren't.

The sweet potatoes need to be planted first, and I'm still waiting for the slips.

:oops: I don't remember how many slips I ordered...

My butternuts are ready to plant out, I've been hardening them off - trying to be patient. Planted beans in the trellis beds - I designed them for luffa, but I've been failing at luffas for the past 3 years, and I just want to see something - anything - growing over the trellis so it finally looks like something nice. But the luffa seedlings look healthy so far, I think I'll wait for the beans to start vining, then plant the luffas among them.
One of my raised beds has volunteer potatoes growing in it - apparently I didn't dig out every single potato last year, so I dumped fertilizer and compost around the volunteer potatoes, then planted all my old spinach and lettuce seeds around them - I guess we'll see what happens.
I went through the bag of last year's potatoes, set aside what we can still eat, and planted about half the rest in another bed, with carrots planted around the edge. Still have more potatoes to plant.
I feel like I'm so behind! Tomatoes are still tiny seedlings, leek seedlings are still like grass sprouts, haven't even started eggplants, cukes or summer squash, or beets.
At least when I'm ready to plant something, the raised beds are super easy to get ready. Building them, and planting winter wheat as a cover crop, has made it so much quicker to get things ready for planting now, not a huge effort to weed them and rake in compost and fertilizer.
Still have 8 more raised beds to install, but I better plant what I have before I do that.

Back
Top Bottom