What did you do in the garden today?

I tried pink banana squash and I think it is the best tasting ever. Downside is only two squash on the vine not very large. Also known as jumbo pink banana and north Georgia candy roaster. The size was not jumbo. I am trying other Maxima squash in hopes of finding larger more productive squash with the same taste. Sibely, Theron's winter harvest and Gete Okosomin.

I will be planting Hubbard type squash this year as trap crop. It works for squash vine borer. One year I planted butterCUP squash….it is a different squash group than butterNUT. SVB love the butterCUP, and attacked it first and fiercely, they all died. But the rest of my stash did alright (well, except the pumpkins that were also attacked). So, now maybe I’ll plant it in a few areas to try to get the cucumber beetles to love it instead of cucumbers.

I tried it last year and used a systemic on the trap crop. I found dying and dead cuke beetles on the trap crop. Not much use in a trap crop without killing bugs. Also worked on vine boers and squash bugs.View attachment 3735643
Which systemic did you use?

Were bees adversely affected?

My plan is to use pots for the trap crops so I can isolate the dirt from them.

Which systemic did you use?

Were bees adversely affected?

My plan is to use pots for the trap crops so I can isolate the dirt from them.
You may recall when I posted this picture. Bees probably affected. I have bees and noticed no effect.
DSCN1318.JPG

Shifting the pollution to other parts of world isn't really cleaning up.

No, I suppose not. Are you talking about the pollution related to the mining and manufacturing of the minerals for batteries? If so, as I stated, we need safer and more environmentally friendly minerals for batteries in the future.

I do stand by my statement that I think it's great that California is trying to clean up its air pollution. My hope is that by forcing people to use less air polluting electric motors will result in both cleaner air locally, but also, we might see new technologies for the rest of the country/world to meet the demand generated by California.

When I left the military, I went back to Minnesota where the air and water are clean. My lungs were damaged while I was in the military overseas, and being stationed in California was hard on me because of expose to so much air pollution. Dear Wife and I enjoyed our tour in California, but my lung health improved dramatically after I left California.

I noticed that cobalt minimg in the MN Boundary Waters area is a lot more problematic to many Americans than cobalt mining in Africa where about 70% is currently done.

:idunno I live in Minnesota, but west of the iron range and the Boundary Waters area. I have never heard of any problems with cobalt mining here in Minnesota. I know our miners dream of the glory days when the mining towns were full and bustling. They think/believe it has something to do with political policies changing. Mostly, however, it is automation that has displaced our miners. Those jobs are never coming back.

:caf If you have a link to any stories of problems with cobalt mining in Minnesota, I would like to read about it. No doubt, we will never see it in our local news or newspapers.

49.00 US Dollars = 74.524449 Australian Dollars

everything is expensive here. Buying from the US is a thing of the past these days, especially the postage costs.

I had the opportunity to visit your beautiful country of Australia twice when I was in the Navy in the 1980's. Great memories of my visits there. Although I found your prices higher than mainland USA, at the time I was stationed in Guam, and the prices in Australia were a bargain to me compared to what we had to pay on Guam. I guess everything is relative.

I would think that goods from China might be less expensive for you. The distance from China to Australia is about 4,700 miles whereas China to the USA is about 7,000 miles. I suppose the amount shipped to each place might have a big impact as well. When I lived on Guam, shipping costs from anywhere were mostly prohibitive. Oh well, you adjust the best you can.

I have a few battery yard power tools. When I first got them I would go through 2 batteries before I needed a break. Then it was 1 battery. After covid a battery will last me 3 days 😂. Same batteries, long covid sucks.

:old :hit If you are suffering from long covid, I'm sorry about that. Not complaining for myself, but, yes, as I get older, I take more breaks and my same batteries "seem" to last longer in the machines.

:lau Kind of like the joke of a baseball sports reporter interviewing an aging pitcher, asking why he is not throwing the ball as hard anymore. The aging pitcher replies, I'm throwing the ball just as hard as I ever did, it just doesn't go as fast anymore!

That's my stage of life as well. I work just as hard, but don't get the same amount of physical work done as when I was younger.

Having said that, I am in the Ryobi line of tools and when I started, about 20 years ago, they had Ni-Cad batteries rated at 1 Ah of capacity. Ryobi promised to keep the same battery format, so the newer Li-Ion batteries of today work even better in my oldest tools I purchased 20 years ago. The same size Li-Ion battery as my old Ni-Cad 1 Ah battery is now rated for 4Ah. So, the new batteries have more power and 4X the run time. Plus, the newer Li-Ion batteries are much cheaper in comparison than what I paid for those original Ni-Cad batteries 20 years ago. What's not to love about that?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom