What did you do in the garden today?

Which is why I am begging our southern friends for PICS PLEASE :)
IMG_20240313_170721268_HDR~2.jpg

Bugleweed

IMG_20240313_165414925_HDR.jpg

Unidentified "volunteer"

IMG_20240312_173251205~2.jpg

Vetch

IMG_20240311_172651261_HDR~2.jpg

Violet

IMG_20240311_172519616_HDR~2.jpg

Henbit

IMG_20240311_170101875_HDR~3.jpg

Japanese Mazus

IMG_20240308_161241266_HDR~2.jpg

Camellia

IMG_20240311_172457193~2.jpg

Sugar snap peas

Does that help? :hugs

Today I watered my seedlings, put the seeds that are germinating out in the raised bed "hoop house", looked at all of my garlic scallions, looked at all the onion tops, peered over at the sugar snap peas, looked at the heads beginning to form on the broccoli plants (this was pretty exciting since last year got really hot early and they bolted quickly), picked some kale for the chickens, picked some swiss chard for the chickens, ate some of the swiss chard before I got to the chickens, watered my poultry forage patch, watered my sprouting dutch white clover ground cover (yeah it may not be native but it will keep the weeds down. I've been hand scraping weeds with a hula hoe to bare dirt for the last 10 years while I eradicated the gopher population with gopher hawk traps, time for a change!), and I also walked down the fruit trees and observed the peach leaf curl that I didn't spray for in time last season. Got a bee tangled in my hair as I walked past the apricot tree, but I was able to get her out without getting stung or hurting her. Huzzah!

On Tuesday I had my overgrown mulberry trees pruned and decided to keep the chippings since there were such large branches to make mulch with. It generated far more mulch than I anticipated.... I had about 6 cubic yards of mulch. I live in town, so I had to make it go away as quickly as possible to avoid the city bothering me. I spent many hours yesterday moving all of the mulch to my landscape garden, grape vines, and around my fruit trees. Little did I know, my son's cold, I had caught already. So today I'm posted up on the couch with a fever and cough. Good and sore from shoveling mulch yesterday, so that makes me feel a little redeemed for 'sitting around' all day today. Though I'd rather be outside working!

I need to take way more pictures of my garden/yard. Too much of the camera roll is dedicated to chickens and tropical fish.

View attachment 3771951
View attachment 3771950
Tropical fish...?

🐠🐠🐠

Haha! I love it. Hmm, maybe I could consolidate all of my bungie cords this summer. :p

Yeah I wouldn't mix up any concrete in my 4 wheel cart; that's a metal wheelbarrow task when it's called for. My gorilla cart was a gift that I thought I'd never use; turns out it's been heavily used; especially since I got the goat heads under control.
I saw a PVC pipe hack in which bungees were hooked on the ends of the pipe, and through notches for the shorter cords. I thought it was clever.

Tropical fish...?

🐠🐠🐠
Yeah, I grow enough guppies and neocaradina shrimp to feed the culls to my chickens as treats. Used to do the same with swordtails as well. I used to breed for profit, now I just donate them to school classroom fish tanks and feed the unwanted children to the chickens. All while still maintaining great breeding stock in case someone wants them. I also take the fish back from classrooms that don't want them; and feed them to the chickens.... don't want to have to quarantine them to put them back with my fish, unless they look especially good for breeding, back into the colonies. :)

I reread the line with "...feeding unwanted children to the chickens." and got a good laugh just now. Children meaning guppy/swordtail fry. :p
I saw a PVC pipe hack in which bungees were hooked on the ends of the pipe, and through notches for the shorter cords. I thought it was clever.
Yeah but then I don't have an excuse to buy cheese balls for the packaging.... However if the holding PVC/ABS was able to fit inside some larger PVC or ABS.... the cords would be protected from UV exposure, mice, and moisture if you cap it; which is a pretty cleaver hack IMO. ... But cheese balls... >.> This is a dilemma.

The 4 wheeled carts and even a wheelbarrow is of little use to me. My property is almost all on a slope and pushing a loaded wheelbarrow up hill is too much for my over 72 year old muscles. The dolly enables me to pull a 40 to 50 pound load up the slope. It takes a few more trips but I get it done.
Sounds to me like you could use a little 4x4 utility vehicle. Trouble is finding one for a good price these days, at least one that was treated right.

Sounds to me like you could use a little 4x4 utility vehicle. Trouble is finding one for a good price these days, at least one that was treated right.
Since I only have a little over a half acre of property finding one that is small enough and can go up steps would be a challenge. Lol! Maybe a burro would be a better idea.

Yeah, I grow enough guppies and neocaradina shrimp to feed the culls to my chickens as treats. Used to do the same with swordtails as well. I used to breed for profit, now I just donate them to school classroom fish tanks and feed the unwanted children to the chickens. All while still maintaining great breeding stock in case someone wants them. I also take the fish back from classrooms that don't want them; and feed them to the chickens.... don't want to have to quarantine them to put them back with my fish, unless they look especially good for breeding, back into the colonies. :)

I reread the line with "...feeding unwanted children to the chickens." and gotmany a good laugh just now. Children meaning guppy/swordtail fry. :p

Yeah but then I don't have an excuse to buy cheese balls for the packaging.... However if the holding PVC/ABS was able to fit inside some larger PVC or ABS.... the cords would be protected from UV exposure, mice, and moisture if you cap it; which is a pretty cleaver hack IMO. ... But cheese balls... >.> This is a dilemma.
I am getting back into guppies after many years. Bored with the inactivity of foot recovery. I am 72 and got my first guppies in grade school. Starting a daphnia culture for live food. Much easier to raise than brine shrimp. Free start from river water. Any lake or river or swamp has them.

Back
Top Bottom