What did you do in the garden today?

1000006982.jpg

Bad pic, lol. The tree that's down is across the driveway, and the trunk is out of sight behind the mulberry tree. I just don't feel like going outside to get a better shot.

I rescued a little venus fly trap from the garden store this am. Has anyone ever cared for one before? I could use some tips. LOL
I also picked up some spinach seeds.

@Acre4Me (or anyone else with ideas!) any ideas how many sf meat birds need, or what they say the average is? They'd be outside, part under cover, part open.
What do you mean by sf? I just harvested 9 CornishX at about 5 weeks, over 4# each - and delicious!

Square feet, I think.
Oh..... I may not be the one to answer that. We have a brooder that's basically about a 5x5' Rubbermaid or similar storage shed, that they sleep in. It's inside maybe a 30 x 40' chain-link enclosure or "run" although honestly these birds really don't exercise. They are harvested so young we basically consider them chicks, I mean they ARE chicks. We use this arrangement for all our other chicks up to about the age of eight weeks or so, at which point we integrate them with the big girls, and it's perfectly adequate for 10 to 12 laying pullets up to that age. Our 9 CX seemed quite comfortable in it. I don't know what other folks would say about this or recommend, I'm just telling you what we do.

I rescued a little venus fly trap from the garden store this am. Has anyone ever cared for one before? I could use some tips. LOL
I also picked up some spinach seeds.

@Acre4Me (or anyone else with ideas!) any ideas how many sf meat birds need, or what they say the average is? They'd be outside, part under cover, part open.
I tried a Venus fly trap and it was doing good until it got a little bit colder then it just died so maybe in a green house it would thrive but I know they're picking little buggers.

It's an easy fix, I used to have rats, but I got rid of them after watching this video.

I tried this with mice and after 2 weeks I didn't find any bodies and still heard them.
Then I put bait out and in two days I started finding bodies. I still have the cornbread and baking soda out, so I'll see if I get any when they show up again.

Yeah, I grow enough guppies and neocaradina shrimp to feed the culls to my chickens as treats. Used to do the same with swordtails as well. I used to breed for profit, now I just donate them to school classroom fish tanks and feed the unwanted children to the chickens. All while still maintaining great breeding stock in case someone wants them. I also take the fish back from classrooms that don't want them; and feed them to the chickens.... don't want to have to quarantine them to put them back with my fish, unless they look especially good for breeding, back into the colonies. :)

I reread the line with "...feeding unwanted children to the chickens." and got a good laugh just now. Children meaning guppy/swordtail fry. :p

Yeah but then I don't have an excuse to buy cheese balls for the packaging.... However if the holding PVC/ABS was able to fit inside some larger PVC or ABS.... the cords would be protected from UV exposure, mice, and moisture if you cap it; which is a pretty cleaver hack IMO. ... But cheese balls... >.> This is a dilemma.
I bred albino Bristlenose plecos until I got tired of driving 2+ hours just to sell them. I now have 3 tanks just for my pleasure, with Kuhli loaches, brown Kuhli loaches, Red Cherry shrimp, and a school of Ember tetras, love'em!

I've not fed any of my fish to my chickens, but when I recently found a dead minnow in my pond it was offered to and enthusiastically accepted by one of the hens.

Back
Top Bottom