What did you do in the garden today?

In 1968 and 69 I worked for a farmer who custom baled. Two of the farms we baled had huge concrete stock tanks with goldfish. We would cool off in those tanks and chase goldfish. Each member of the crew got paid 2 cents per bale. One time we did 1500 bales. $30 for a days work was good pay. I would later clear $80 for a 40-hour week in a factory.
Baling is hard, dusty work. And that was very good pay for it back then

I have started to get those too. I just thought that I had looked at a bright light, and it was the after effect. I described it to my hubby, who does get ocular migraines, and he said, nope, that IS definitely a migraine.

Thank goodness they are painless and short lived. I count my blessings, and there's another one.
Those awful flickering florescent bulbs in offices & stores that were Everywhere...yes, they're so harsh. Between the sight & smells, ugh, I've hated clothes shopping my whole life. Most have switched to the LED lights but even they come in that harsh color they call Daylight, but real daylight never looked like that, it's intense. Then the fitting room mirrors used to give me vertigo. I swear they were just a milder version of fun house mirrors.

https://www.glamour.com/story/a-quick-rant-dressing-room-mir

Last edited:
YES! Smells like petrol to me, but yes, so many things are drenched in it and it gives me headaches. Although, so do flickering lights and pressure changes.
I'm super sensitive to pressure, weather & barometric changes & my sense of smell is a curse, so many chemicals stink, & stuff they make these days outgases, ugh, it is really intense at times. I would die of over sensory bombardment if I had to live in a city & work in a stifling office building with windows that never opened & those darn lights. Kill me quicker if stuck in a cubicle without any windows. Give me nature! Pollen & manure please! 😆

I plan to get more trumpet vines for the bees. I figure if the vine can out grow the brome grass in the field, well, goodie for it and the bees.

I read a review on a site that sold trumpet vine. The person said NOTHING could kill it. Not cutting it down, not burning, nothing. They didn't mention using the G-word (glyphosate). They named it Aubrey after the plant in Little Shop of Horrors.

My personal "rule" is I can't buy anything at a thrift store unless I take in a donation.

I think of it as trading in my clothes.
Ditto! I take several bags, then I can let myself go in to see what they've got, but I only get maybe a few necessity or useful type items. Recently, they had a bunch of 100% cotton & 80% cotton 20% polyester t shirts. I got several for my sweetheart & me. They are the best & most comfortable, especially when working. These darn newer shirts at retail stores are mixing some stretchy weave, it makes ya sweat! Cotton Poly mix is ok but some of those newer t shirts they try to pass off these days are nasty fabrics, make ya get overheated then look 50 yrs old washed just once. The thrift stores are great for finding mostly cotton. They had about 100 shirts still with tags on them, donated from various places. They've become our favorite shirts to wear.

Back
Top Bottom