What did you do in the garden today?

I kind of took a break from gardening today, and I needed it after all I've done the last few days. My legs and back needed some rest.

I started the day digging out choice weeds and putting them in water after crushing them. That will turn into a natural fertilizer for the garden in a couple of weeks.

I drove to Walmart and bought okra, lettuce and basil seeds, along with a new drip coffee maker.

And I weeded my little patch of poppies, and only ripped out one accidentally. There are still around 25 poppy plants left.

I might wet down some seed starting mix and get my Genovese basil seeds started. Or maybe not.

I'm going to attempt to stay up late and see if I can see the aurora borealis tonight. Friday and Saturday nights I was just too tired to stay up that late.

ETA: I went ahead and got my basil planted, one six cell seed starting tray. Took about 10 minutes or so.

Last edited:
I kind of took a break from gardening today, and I needed it after all I've done the last few days. My legs and back needed some rest.

I started the day digging out choice weeds and putting them in water after crushing them. That will turn into a natural fertilizer for the garden in a couple of weeks.

I drove to Walmart and bought okra, lettuce and basil seeds, along with a new drip coffee maker.

And I weeded my little patch of poppies, and only ripped out one accidentally. There are still around 25 poppy plants left.

I might wet down some seed starting mix and get my Genovese basil seeds started. Or maybe not.

I'm going to attempt to stay up late and see if I can see the aurora borealis tonight. Friday and Saturday nights I was just too tired to stay up that late.
So far the forecast is not as active north lights as Friday night

So far the forecast is not as active north lights as Friday night
I'm just north of the view line of NOAA's aurora forecast for tonight, so maybe I'll get lucky and see it if the prediction is correct.

Screen Shot 2024-05-12 at 6.04.08 PM.png

Question for the fruit tree lovers:
Why would my two native plums both flower but not develop fruit at all? I don't even see tiny fruit falling off. Just nada, zilch, zero! I have two of them and they are close to each other so bees would easily go from flowers on one tree to the other.
Mine lost there's because of the hard freezes.

I have the front covered by trees nothing can grow there but I put weed block down oyster over pots of hens and chicks from my Ma succulents that where hers.
I have walking onion and garlic all in pots and a huge onion chive we have used for 14 years here.
Going to try crushed egg shells in it.

Predatory nematodes 2/3 applied.

I started a bit late this am, so I’ll wait to apply the other 1/3 later today, as the sun is going down. They are UV susceptible, and it’s recommended to apply early or late in the day to moist soil. so I’m now lightly watering the areas where I applied the nematodes.

Might plant some seeds. Not much happening today for Mother’s Day. Husband is at work. Teen did get me a bag of preferred candy from the store, so I’m enjoying some bites of things I don’t normally buy for myself (bc I’d eat them all). Maybe I can convince the teen to go for a walk at the park…

Baby goats: still super cute! Getting harder to carry (from one pen to an outdoor or indoor pen) -their legs are longer and stronger, and their hooves are sharper. 3 boys go to auction in about 3 weeks. We banded one male to be a companion to the one female. But, I made the mistake of asking a Q on a goat page (and mentioned we banded one male already) and the hate was amazing “never trust that vet again”, “that’s terrible”, “he’ll die a slow painful death from urinary issues”, etc…. Our vet is a very experienced farm vet, has his own herd of sheep (has for decades), and is knowledgeable and helpful. He’s probably not perfect, but I think I’ll trust his guidance over random internet people.

Here’s all 5 in the pen in the shop.
View attachment 3829517

This is Gus. He was the largest kid that was born. He is really handsome (nice coloring), but his body structure seems really nice too (but, hey what do I know with only a bit of experience).

View attachment 3829518

Here’s little Annie- the lone and rejected girl. Chubby belly from all the good milk she gets to eat until she’s done (rather than the moms kicking her off), so she’s growing well! You see the higher board behind her? She decided to jump off it, and her front legs kind of collapsed under her when she hit the ground..so she climbed back up to try again…same thing happened, just not as quickly, so she tried again…much better and then she moved onto another challenge. She also likes to eat dirt in the garden.
View attachment 3829520

my kids eat dirt as well. are they missing some nutrient? they have goat mineral and vitamin blocks all the time.

@cj2024 , I'm all set with Genovese basil now. My little drip coffee maker quit working this morning so I had to make cowboy coffee in a saucepan.

I decided to go to Walmart and get another $10 drip coffee maker, and while there I got seeds too.

View attachment 3829617

I also bough Black Seeded Simpson leaf lettuce seeds, which was the only type my grandpa grew years ago. And okra too, which I love... when FRIED!

View attachment 3829623

we don't have names for varieties but that lettuce is my favourite.

nursery I buy plants and seeds from is wright next to pet feed store. when I go to buy dog/cat food I usually come back with some plant/tree/seeds, lol.

Back
Top Bottom