What did you do in the garden today?

Almost feel guilty posting this, yesterday was registration day for our local community gardens so I worked doing signups. later i was able to plant a few rows of onions, along some arugula transplants from another gardener, and lemon grass. Today I finally got the Christmas lights off the house and put away. Was out of town last week so I'm using that as my excuse!

works for me worked on my little chicken tractor I got free off craigs list making it secure from our three outside cats that will eat small birds like my 4 silky hammer.gif puke green.jpg

Mint is one of my favorite herbs. The homemade crackers turned out great, don't think I will ever buy store bought again. My son made plain hummus t to go along with them. We couldn't get out even with the four wheelers. I remembered parsley works well for nausea. So been drinking parsley tea.

Got the best seeds planted and began to draw up plans for the garden. This year I am going to be adding a one acre pollinator garden full of wild flowers and grasses they like.

Mint is one of my favorite herbs. The homemade crackers turned out great, don't think I will ever buy store bought again. My son made plain hummus t to go along with them. We couldn't get out even with the four wheelers. I remembered parsley works well for nausea. So been drinking parsley tea.

Got the best seeds planted and began to draw up plans for the garden. This year I am going to be adding a one acre pollinator garden full of wild flowers and grasses they like.

first of the month ordering my seeds not near as motivated as that

I really wanna get some pollinator plants running in my lawn/garden. :O It's rough o work on sometimes. We have SO many deer and they eat EVERYTHING. I took a photo today of them digging through a foot of snow to graze my neighbor's front yard, about 2' from the front stoop. 4-5 of them. They walk right up to my 60lb dogs and try to play with them. Hard to grow without a fence.

I really wanna get some pollinator plants running in my lawn/garden. :O It's rough o work on sometimes. We have SO many deer and they eat EVERYTHING. I took a photo today of them digging through a foot of snow to graze my neighbor's front yard, about 2' from the front stoop. 4-5 of them. They walk right up to my 60lb dogs and try to play with them. Hard to grow without a fence.
Wait--What? The deer try to play with your dogs? That's nuts to me! I guess urban/suburban deer are bold, eh?

Lazy gardener--if you can't find any sorrel, I may be able to give you some. It's hardy as all get out here, so once the ice-polalypse eases, I'll see what my clumps are doing. Oh wait--are you talking sorrel the green or sorrel the plant where the calyxes make nifty Caribbean drinks?

What I did: watched a pair of squirrels try to pull my ~30' frost blanket from my raised bed, over the fence and up into the pine tree. I have video if I can figure out how to upload from my phone. Hilarious. I also looked at my seed starting stuff and vowed to organize it sometime soon. :)

Lazy gardener--if you can't find any sorrel, I may be able to give you some. It's hardy as all get out here, so once the ice-polalypse eases, I'll see what my clumps are doing. Oh wait--are you talking sorrel the green or sorrel the plant where the calyxes make nifty Caribbean drinks?

Latin name: Rumex acetosa. I've never tried it, so really have no idea how I will use it. But, it's peaked my interest for a number of years, b/c it is listed as a very early green, useful in salads and cooking, and a perennial. So... gotta try it. It made it onto my order sheet from Pine Tree Seeds last night. Unless they are sold out, I should be receiving it for spring planting.

Well, it's not like we can shoot them and eat them. It's illegal to fire off guns, crossbows, etc in the city. The houses are just too close. If you miss, you could kill someone by accident... Happens more than you'd think. So they just kind of domesticate themselves. It's a fascinating evolutionary experiment in a way. Kind of shows you how wolves could domesticate into dogs. They just stick around long enough and stop being scared. Then they get friendly. Next thing you know they're playing with you and eating out of your hand.
For a while there were a lot of traffic accidents. You'd see a lot of dead deer each year on the side of certain roads. But they adjusted to that as well. They don't cross if a car is there, and they cross fast as big groups, never individuals. I haven't seen a dead deer on our local heavily wooded road in years. (Could be the city got better at removing them fast, but if the rate they preform other services is any indication, I doubt it.) I have seen the exact same deer sometimes going on years, wandering around. We have this one small buck that got hurt as a fawn and has a limp. He hangs out with a posse of bigger bucks most of the year, and wanders off on his own during rut for a couple months before joining up with his buck posse again later. I see him limping around just fine year after year. The deer are very laid back so he keeps up with them 'cause they move so slow. Nothing wild to eat the deer, so there he is. This bucks been around some 5 odd years now. He'll probably die of old age before anything else.
You can't even put a plant on the porch without them eating it. My sister had a big dog that would bark at them through a ground floor window while they ate the daylillies planted right below the window. Nothing grows here without a thorough deer inspection, especially in winter.

Back
Top Bottom