What did you do in the garden today?

This may not be to your liking and only a suggestion but a weed preventer like preen would make life easier in that pea patch. Many prefer no chemicals but I use preen to save a lot of weeding.
Maybe so, but I'm one of them that doesn't want to use weed-killer. Too many chickens grubbing around in the turned beds. Hopefully they've gotten most of the squash bug larvae.

Round-up does not work for me.. I have been trying for 9 years straight to kill off some horse nettle (Solanum carolinense).. it laughs at Round-up and every other weedkiller I have tried.. and you can't yank it up since it spreads by root division.. I have resorted to laying paving stones and concrete over it.. so far it seems to be working.. but that darn stuff if evil....
Horse nettles. I hate those. They are everywhere here. I cover areas I want to use with tarps for a couple of months and then till like crazy every week for another month. So far it seems to work. So far. They're pretty determined though.

Planted more trees. Picked sorrel for greens. Low of 25 by morning. It got to 80 Saturday. Spring is a wild ride.
I love that! Spring IS a wild ride. It's great unless the ride includes hail that pounds the baby lettuce into nothing. I stopped growing lettuce after that year, it was too discouraging.

I'd put mint there! It's a strong plant, very hardy, and can hold it's own against weeds. Be aware though, it can become invasive if given a chance. You may want to put a barrier around it.
Funny. I keep thinking the weeds have killed my mint every year because the weeds grow so much taller and shade out the mint until I can't see it. I've started having to clear the entire area to keep the weeds down so I can at least harvest some mint for my tea.

how do you fix your kale
Kale chips! drizzle with olive oil/any oil really, season or salt and bake at 300 for oh, 15 minutes or so until crispy. Surprisingly good - and my sister told me last weekend that they've been buying them at Trader Joes. Didn't know they marketed them.

So, I spent my birthday money on herbs. Potted a couple of tomato plants and lettuce and peppers for the patio (first year for lettuce since the disaster) and put basil seeds in lots and lots of pots! Also have tomatoes, artichokes (the 2-year kind) watermelon and cantaloupe started. And more basil. Have carrot seeds, onion sets, squash, bush beans and sunflowers to go direct in the garden when the rainy weather lets up. And more basil. Have the corn plot covered in tarp and will till and plant mid/late May. The above in two days, not today, it's raining today.

The herbs will be an interesting mix. I've started borage from seed, and ordered plants from the growers exchange: bergamot, roman chamomile, comfrey, horehound (I can't get the seed to sprout), oregano, sage, attar of rose geranium, tarragon, thyme and wormwood. I also snarfed some corsican mint from greenwood nursery - I had it one year and it tastes amazing! Glaze them with sugar and use as an after dinner mint - could coat them with chocolate too. Anyway, they didn't survive the winter but I bet they will this year because....Big Lots had their display greenhouse, normally $69.99 marked down to $35 and I snatched it quicker than you can say bargain!

We ate our handfull of asparagus last week. Yield was sad this year. My sugar-snaps are about a foot tall but no flowers yet. Garlic chives came back with a vengeance and taste so yummy in deviled eggs. My currants were blooming right when we had our last hard freeze, so I'm crossing my fingers. The Gold Fall raspberries are spreading like crazy - which is a good thing. One of the blueberries died, but the others have a few flowers - they're not very big plants.

I was hoping to have guineas in the garden before the squash bugs destroy my squash, but apparently it's a bad year for guineas (whatever that means) so I may not have much squash again this year. Bummer. I love squash and can never find the people who have too much.

I JUST started digging up my garden last week. Unfortunately this week it has rained....and rained...and rained....I hope to maybe get back into the garden by Friday or the weekend.
I haven't decided what to plant yet. Trying to be as strategic as possible as for the last couple of years of so, we have had wet springs, then as the summer has gone on, more of a drought.

Still too wet in the garden, so today I planted in the greenhouses. Swiss Chard, bush beans, pole beans, straight 8 cucumbers, Virginia pickling cucumbers, casarta squash, spaghetti squash, honey rock melon, and bok choy. Maybe I can get them in the garden by Saturday!

Picked some asparagus today. Only in the mid 40's today. Temperature just has not moved much today. Damp chilly and cloudy. Thinking of tilling more of the garden when I can. Just may gamble on some seeds. Could still frost but it is not in the 10 day forecast. Then neither was the last one. Some of my grafts show signs of budding.

Still too wet in the garden, so today I planted in the greenhouses. Swiss Chard, bush beans, pole beans, straight 8 cucumbers, Virginia pickling cucumbers, casarta squash, spaghetti squash, honey rock melon, and bok choy. Maybe I can get them in the garden by Saturday!
It's generally warmer here in late winter so we put our boc choy and broccoli our at the end of feburary when we plant our snow peas and spinach. But now it's been such a cool spring that we are going to be much later than usual on our tomatoes, cucumbers and eggplant.

Back
Top Bottom