What did you do in the garden today?

I'll be picking apples, all my tomatoes and pulling the first crop bushes, & picking figs.

I'll know what I'm canning this weekend when I see how much I pick...

Have a Great Weekend

I finally got to pick some ripe tomatoes! Five of them, which promptly went into a salsa with a nice big yellow onion. Green beans, too, because those are becoming a bit of a problem.

Powdery mildew is starting to show up in spots in the pumpkin patch, and I'm battling that with scissors and milk spray. I watched a neighbor's beautiful delicata squash vine succumb to that one day at a time last summer, so I'm determined to fight it off as best I can without getting Old Testament on it.

And I have not one, not two, but THREE jack-o-lantern pumpkins hanging off various fences in my garden. I planted five vines, and I don't really have a choice about the vertical gardening thing.

Today we picked herbs to dry, Monarda, Sweet Basil, Cinnamon Basil, Rosemary, Oregano, Sage, & Thyme.
I like to harvest and dry herbs in the late summer to get me thru the winter, I use them fresh all summer. Cutting late summer lets them have a last big flush, I can use more fresh, and still have some to dry, root for a small windowsill thing I attempt each year (It doesn't last long but stretches things a few more weeks with fresh after first frosts) and even freeze a little.

Herbs are dang expensive in the store for something that is quite xeric Has few pest problems, & ez to grow.
Grow your own herbs, light and air flow are the key.

Today we have sprinkled the entire garden with my mix of Hot Pepper, Ghost, Habanero, & Cayenne powder. If the deer come they will be sorry...LOL

TIP: be careful when using a mortar and pestle when crushing hot peppers, (or cooking) the steam and dust can make breathing very uncomfortable.

Harvested even more cucumbers, harvested some kale for my chickies, and tied my pumpkin vines up a little further. I've got one pumpkin getting its yellow speckles and a bunch more just starting to form--one giant in the grass is about twice the size of my head already. Got some new potatoes, too!

I had a lot to catch up in the garden after vacation . Squash , tomatoes , green beans , and cucumbers . Made bread and butter pickles and put up green beans . Chickens getting plenty of garden treats now .

I can relate to playing catch up with school starting today I hadn't went out in the garden in a couple days..picked squash, tomatoes, need to go back out and pick beans, got 7 green peppers for my MIL in exchange for her tomatoes,and some other various peepers I am just freezing whole until i gather enough to make pepper jelly, I have a table full of own tomatoes, thinking of canning Tomatoe soup, and will be making chili just to can for my 4 yr old who is obsessed with eating chili before anyone asks I own a pressure Canner. ..I already have 20+ quarts of canned whole tomatoes, 10 pints of salsa , 8 quarts of spag. sauce. Tomatoe basil jam , plus 25 quarts of beans and 30 quarts of pickles ... and i still have a good 3 more weeks of Tomatoe season LOL.

Back
Top Bottom