What did you do in the garden today?

Well, I chased my toddler around the garden as he joyfully trampled my veggies. Gardens and toddlers do NOT mix! After that, I did some weeding and pulled out some MONSTER weeds from the perimeter that were almost as tall as I am. Before I went inside to make lunch, I pulled up some bunches of purslane "weeds" to include in our meal. For many years, I've dabbled in foraging, so I took advantage of the opportunity. There are so many healthful and delicious wild edibles out there, and they're free for the taking. Sure helps when you're on a budget...

Last edited:
Arielle, I sort of know how corn pollination is supposed to work, but I thought I'd post a couple of links that explain it better:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/agf-fact/0128.html

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...n-pollination-how-to-hand-pollinate-corn.html

Most of the pollen flowing from the tassel goes to pollinate neighboring plants, and that's why it's important to plant corn in a fairly close block. Otherwise, the plant stands a chance of missing out on the male contribution.
This was my worry with big gaps--pollination might need a hand this year.

Worked in the greenhouse with the overhead sprinklers on, 38C with the water on...
Very surprised by some over sized tomato cutting actually working (cool!)
Tossed 5 gallons of coffee grounds all over (outdoor beds as well) hoping it wards off slugs... The addition of a layer of hay for mulch brought droves of those buggers out...
Added more wood mulch to the pepper bed. Now to tackle the cucumbers... Crazy mess...
Leaving Sunday for a week, hope it doesn't all die on me...
You might come home to a jungle!! lol

Well, I chased my toddler around the garden as he joyfully trampled my veggies. Gardens and toddlers do NOT mix! After that, I did some weeding and pulled out some MONSTER weeds from the perimeter that were almost as tall as I am. Before I went inside to make lunch, I pulled up some nice bunches of purslane "weeds" to include in our meal. For many years, I've been interested in foraging, so I took advantage of the opportunity. There are so many healthful and delicious things out there to eat, and they're free for the taking. Besides, I thought it was kind of funny that my husband could go to work and tell his co-workers

Sounds like we have similar days in the garden...with all the rain here in KY I can't keep up with the weeding definitely going to check out how much mulching will cost next year...and my 2 toddlers may kill any chance I have of making pickles this year

Sounds like we have similar days in the garden...with all the rain here in KY I can't keep up with the weeding definitely going to check out how much mulching will cost next year...and my 2 toddlers may kill any chance I have of making pickles this year

I'm just one state north of you, so we are also getting drenched. Daily rain showers and little boys definitely make it hard to maintain a garden. Our chickens would seal its fate if I didn't have it fenced off.

Today I harvested some fresh herbs to add to my drying bag for future nesting box herbs. Picked several ripe heirloom tomato's, a few variety of hot spicy peppers, some snap peas, tended to the squash and zuccini plants, noted more flowers on the canteloupe plants but not seeing many bees to get them pollenated hope I get some fruits. The berry bushes have been fair in yield, but the balckberry bush didnt survive from last year, lucky there is a HUGE wild one in the field behind the house! The mini kitchen window herb gardens I planted from seed are all sprouted now so hopefully they will make their way into some friends kitchen windows =) got everything watered and ready for the sun to come out tomorrow.

Got out the whacker to cut giant weeds on the slope outside the garden but ran out of string before I was done. Also tied up the tomatoes to the next level of wire. Harvested more greens. I have my eye on those tiny tomatoes. And I see beds on the zucchini.

Tackled the cucumbers, and my boys got into a bit of trouble in the greenhouse... Yup toddlers and gardens not a great mix... Need a kid garden. Really I do, so gardening isnt remembered as mama yelling "don't touch that, don't step there, don't eat those!"
1f601.png

Canning will be interesting this year with two mobile little dudes that think they can cook...
Oh yippy the canning thread will be busy again soon
1f603.png

Here is a volunteer squash / gourd .

I fried this one for lunch . Skin was still tender so I left it on . Seeds were forming but soft . You can use them just like zucchini . This one is probably all gourd since it is climbing the fence .
The dark green one is probably half zucchini as the plant is semi bush .

Female flower on yellow straight neck x gourd .

This row is yellow straight neck x gourd .

These are the type of gourds I grew last year .
Just tinkering around trying to get squash borer resistance from the gourd .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom