What did you do in the garden today?

I take all my hot chiles and sweet peppers that did not get used in canning projects and put them in the dehydrator for a couple of days. Grind them up fine and use them for a hot sprinkle for just about anything! It's called 'Home Grown Hot Stuff' here and we use it ALL the time. I also put it in jars for Christmas gifts as people are always asking for it!

Trinidadian pepper sauce! Well, you usually make it with scotch bonnets and/or habaneros, but it would probably work, just not as hot.

7-10 habanero or Scotch bonnet chiles
10-15 garlic cloves, chopped
10-15 scallions, 1-inch pieces.
1 cup water
3/4 cup white vinegar
1 T mustard
2/3 cup cilantro, chopped
2/3 cup chadon beni (culantro)
I don't see why you couldn't hot water bath this recipe. It looks to have plenty of vinegar but if you use it really often, maybe it's not worth it!

I don't see why you couldn't hot water bath this recipe. It looks to have plenty of vinegar but if you use it really often, maybe it's not worth it!

Yeah, we go through a bunch of it. It goes on basically everything savory. :)
I have a dehydrator, so I dry some, but I should definitely powder some. Thanks oregonkat!

Also, hot pepper jelly is tasty and makes good gifts...

Yeah, we go through a bunch of it. It goes on basically everything savory. :)
I have a dehydrator, so I dry some, but I should definitely powder some. Thanks oregonkat!

Also, hot pepper jelly is tasty and makes good gifts...
Do you grow your own habanero peppers? If so, how many plants give you the amount of fruits that you need for your projects?

Do you grow your own habanero peppers? If so, how many plants give you the amount of fruits that you need for your projects?

Yes, I grow my own habaneros, scotch bonnets and thai birdseye. Also Chinese Five-color peppers and this year a variety called scorpion pepper, but only one plant of the latter. I think I have six hab plants, four scotch bonnets (I'll do more next year since they aren't as productive as the habs) and three birdseye, which have been incredible. I've gotten more than 120 peppers from those three and they're still going.

I could probably grow more and still use them up, but I have poblanos and jalapenos as well, and they deserve their real estate.

Heat indices here are 104 degrees today. Joy. My son's XC meet yesterday was brutal!

Summer squash still producing . Semi bush boer resistant . A breeding project . The yellow one survived stink bugs . Never bothered green one . Crossing back to zuke to get true bush type . Ornamental gourds were source of boer resistance .
DSCN0831.JPG
DSCN0832.JPG

Back
Top Bottom