What did you do in the garden today?

I never plan well for long vine plants. Hopefully some of you can help.
Consider getting a Cattle Panel, and train the vines up.
1579763754792.png

Good morning gardeners. Regarding marigolds, they won't deter all insects. Look into companion planting for what works best for different pests. My first growing season here I planted marigolds next to my summer squash. Although I did see squash bugs around there, they did not damage the squash. One thing to keep in mind, anything that produces a flower should be attractive to pollinators. As for vining plants, I haven't used a trellis type frame for my winter squash. I just pick up the vines and put them where I want them to grow. I am curious how the square foot garden works out for you @BReeder! I've looked at the square foot "model" and it just doesn't seem to be enough room for the plants to grow healthy. But that's only my opinion. So I am looking forward to see if it works well for you. I've always been chided for planting too closely, so the square foot method really does confuse me. :confused: I'm all excited for the back to relatively normal temperatures. Highs for the next 4 - 5 days are forecasted to be in the low 40's. Yay! Have a great day everyone.

Good morning gardeners. Regarding marigolds, they won't deter all insects. Look into companion planting for what works best for different pests. My first growing season here I planted marigolds next to my summer squash. Although I did see squash bugs around there, they did not damage the squash. One thing to keep in mind, anything that produces a flower should be attractive to pollinators. As for vining plants, I haven't used a trellis type frame for my winter squash. I just pick up the vines and put them where I want them to grow. I am curious how the square foot garden works out for you @BReeder! I've looked at the square foot "model" and it just doesn't seem to be enough room for the plants to grow healthy. But that's only my opinion. So I am looking forward to see if it works well for you. I've always been chided for planting too closely, so the square foot method really does confuse me. :confused: I'm all excited for the back to relatively normal temperatures. Highs for the next 4 - 5 days are forecasted to be in the low 40's. Yay! Have a great day everyone.
I have 3 days of snow with a bit of rain too. I am seeing highs in the low 30's only.

As for square foot gardening, I look at it just as a way to organize beds. Certainly done plants require more than a square foot. I am a bit concerned about cabbage and cauliflower in particular. I am going to plant 2-3 seeds near the center of each square foot, then trim back to 1 plant, and then trim back further if needed later in the season. Its grat for the herb bed though, where I will plant up to 16 plants in 1 square foot. I don't use it in my rows though. Tomatoes, potatoes, pumpkins etc. have varying spacing needs.

Last year I planted a bunch of marigolds all throughout my garden. It did not deter the little critters that liked my green beans or the critters that liked my eggplants! I also had a chipmunk or something living in a burrow under one of my tomato plants. I never did figure out what it was. I kept filling in the burrow and anywhere from a few days to a few weeks later it would be there again. The marigold were very fragrant so .... :idunno
I did not find any tomato horn worms and usually we have at least a few of them every year.
I also saved a bunch of seed heads from the flowers at the end of the season and I will plant them again this summer. If nothing else, they help attract pollinators.
This was my experience as well. No tomato damage but boy did the bugs like all the other stuff!

Good morning gardeners. I've watered the seed pots and grass frame this morning. Nothing sprouting yet of course. I'll get out there later after things warm up a bit and do some weeding and probably thin the carrots. I pulled one the other day on accident and it was about 3 to 4 inches long and as thick as a pencil so they're doing great. I will definitely be dividing the artichoke plant this year, need to read up on that first. I don't see any flowers yet but it shouldn't be long :drool Have a great day everyone!

PS, here's what I've done with the succulents and cacti. Everything seems happier outside. I need to trim a few dead leaves off the snake plants still.
20200123_092230.jpg

Last edited:
I have 3 days of snow with a bit of rain too. I am seeing highs in the low 30's only.

As for square foot gardening, I look at it just as a way to organize beds. Certainly done plants require more than a square foot. I am a bit concerned about cabbage and cauliflower in particular. I am going to plant 2-3 seeds near the center of each square foot, then trim back to 1 plant, and then trim back further if needed later in the season. Its grat for the herb bed though, where I will plant up to 16 plants in 1 square foot. I don't use it in my rows though. Tomatoes, potatoes, pumpkins etc. have varying spacing needs.
I guess I'll have to wait and see pictures of your garden. I'm more of a "visual learner" so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense until I actually see it. I'm looking forward to it. :frow

Aloha gardeners!
DH cut and we loaded up last of the Kukui tree rubbish last eve. Off to the greenwaste! 20200117_121724.jpg
I made a quick getaway up to Koke'e to spend the night and to do some touch up painting on my truck bed in a dust free environment -yes, still trying to finish up some stuff on truck- in between getting sucked into DH's crazy retirement projects. And yes, I left him at home.
I went for a small walk this morning and caught the sunrise over one of the canyon lookouts. I took photos for my snow bound friend in the Colo Rockies, I'll share some green and warm with you folks too. Though it was pretty dark out and it is hard to see the full detailed glory of the beautiful Koke'e Canyon morning, I think you can get the idea.
20200123_071655.jpg 20200123_072017.jpg 20200123_072620.jpg
20200123_072021.jpg
20200123_072204.jpg
20200123_072322.jpg

It clouded over shortly after I walked back to cabin as Kauai has a weak cold front approaching. I plan to go back up this eve to finish the job if weather passes.
Only watering for the garden and egg collection.

Aloha gardeners!
DH cut and we loaded up last of the Kukui tree rubbish last eve. Off to the greenwaste!View attachment 2009215
I made a quick getaway up to Koke'e to spend the night and to do some touch up painting on my truck bed in a dust free environment -yes, still trying to finish up some stuff on truck- in between getting sucked into DH's crazy retirement projects. And yes, I left him at home.
I went for a small walk this morning and caught the sunrise over one of the canyon lookouts. I took photos for my snow bound friend in the Colo Rockies, I'll share some green and warm with you folks too. Though it was pretty dark out and it is hard to see the full detailed glory of the beautiful Koke'e Canyon morning, I think you can get the idea.
View attachment 2009226View attachment 2009227View attachment 2009228
View attachment 2009210View attachment 2009216View attachment 2009211
It clouded over shortly after I walked back to cabin as Kauai has a weak cold front approaching. I plan to go back up this eve to finish the job if weather passes.
Only watering for the garden and egg collection.
Beautiful! I'm jealous.

Back
Top Bottom