What did you do in the garden today?

I, like @Acre4Me, use a section of fence for vining plants just held up with a tpost.

I planted onions throughout the garden to help with pests, some dont seem to like onions.

I love to see all the garden plans! My garden is probably going to be drastically different this year as I'm facing back surgery. I'm hoping to do a lot of vining plants so I wont have to bend over, so cukes & squash. & just a few tomatoes. I think its going to be very simple, sadly.

another good thing to do is plant cover crops! Or a few rounds of cover crops for green manure-till under before fully mature or producing seeds. Of course, this will require a helper, but it’s hard to mess up destroying plants and turning it under, so even a bored local teen can do a good job and earn some money.
we planted pole beans (for drying to use later in soups, etc). This could be a good option as they took longer to grow and you need them to dry out, so no stress in picking them while fresh. Also grew black beans for drying, but these were a bush variety. But, just had to pick when dry! The harder part of the bush variety is they sometimes got blown over, and then the pods were touching the soil with higher incidence of mildew like spots from drying, yet touching moist ground.

hope your surgery occurs after planting time, so you can watch a few things develop. sorry you have to face back surgery!

another good thing to do is plant cover crops! Or a few rounds of cover crops for green manure-till under before fully mature or producing seeds. Of course, this will require a helper, but it’s hard to mess up destroying plants and turning it under, so even a bored local teen can do a good job and earn some money.
we planted pole beans (for drying to use later in soups, etc). This could be a good option as they took longer to grow and you need them to dry out, so no stress in picking them while fresh. Also grew black beans for drying, but these were a bush variety. But, just had to pick when dry! The harder part of the bush variety is they sometimes got blown over, and then the pods were touching the soil with higher incidence of mildew like spots from drying, yet touching moist ground.

hope your surgery occurs after planting time, so you can watch a few things develop. sorry you have to face back surgery!
Thank you. Great ideas! DH will help with whatever I ask him. I'm going to look into it, I've only ever grown greenbeans!

I, like @Acre4Me, use a section of fence for vining plants just held up with a tpost.

I planted onions throughout the garden to help with pests, some dont seem to like onions.

I love to see all the garden plans! My garden is probably going to be drastically different this year as I'm facing back surgery. I'm hoping to do a lot of vining plants so I wont have to bend over, so cukes & squash. & just a few tomatoes. I think its going to be very simple, sadly.
Sorry to hear you're facing back surgery Sueby. My husband had extensive surgery years ago and he feels so much better. I hope you have great results! Maybe some raised beds would work? The vining plants are a definite plus. You can grow melons vertically as well, I've seen folks use panty hose as a sling for the fruit before.

Thank you. Great ideas! DH will help with whatever I ask him. I'm going to look into it, I've only ever grown greenbeans!
These were the pole beans, grown on a basic wood structure, using strings as the support. Lots of blooms. Most produced 3-5 beans per pod. The bottom pic is of the dried beans. I left them in the wire colander for a few weeks to make sure they were fully dry before putting in a container.
ED07A803-A0E5-45BB-A9E9-32AF135788EC.jpeg
F38A1C10-9921-40FF-9110-A7624A97222C.jpeg
B312D229-2C7D-48AB-9ACD-FC448F2A858D.jpeg

So sorry for your very difficult day @karenerwin . I hope everything has ironed out and everyone continues their mending. It's hard to find the silver lining on days like that and I am glad you have seen one already.
Best of luck on the back surgery @Sueby . Sounds like you are in the solution and will be heading in the right direction in your recovery. Glad you have the insight to raise your garden. Pretty darn smart.

Love the pole bean set up- gorgeous and functional!!

Yes, no harvest for two years on Asparagus, no matter how bad you want to lol. You are supposed to build the root strength. Sandy loam with heavy compost feedings. It is a 20-25 year plant right? Lots of info on the internet. Asparagus is supposed to do well in our climate but I am ready to pull mine and use my bed more wisely. I have limited space.

I'm calling it soil.
20200125_094300 (2).jpg
20200125_094548.jpg

I will add coop poop today and some carbon and close the other barrel for spinning. Perfect timing.
Zucchini is plugging along, yes planted close together but that's small space gardening.
20200125_094946.jpg

And I'm thinking it is time to convert my growing tables to raised garden beds. I'm not propagating much anymore and can direct seed most of my veggies now a days. It is a brutally hot and horrible spot. Shop behind, along with main house needs to be painted. Actually i 'd like to replace the siding, so got to keep things kinda of mobile though i don't foresee that project happening for a few years. It is just crap collecting eyesore now.
20200125_095019.jpg

Though the girls like hunting the lizards that hide in and around the pots.

Installed a new stereo in the old girl the other day, replacing the one that crapped out. Yippee to legal hands free phone calls and Pandora.
20200122_120603.jpg

Will be done Herculiner-ing bed today, then can put back on racks and boxes in a few and will finally be done with truck and ready to move on. 🤪

Back
Top Bottom