What did you do in the garden today?

I got up between 4 and 4:15 am everyday for nearly 50 years. It's only been the last 5 - 6 months that I've been gradually sleeping later. I like it! :) And, another reason why I don't use poop boards in my coop. My clan is easily confused and they might think it's a nest box as well. After I built the ladder style roost bars it was kind of sad watching them try to figure out how to get down. They go up fine, but after nearly a year they still struggle. So I'll just keep scooping poo from the floor under their roost everyday. It's less confusing for them.
You don't have a corner on the market with dumb birds. LOL. I try not to confuse mine either. I have one pair of birds that share a brain, and I think some days they rent it out altogether.

I've never sifted my compost... is that a thing? :p :D
Yes it is a thing... a very consuming thing in my experience. I doofy compost through a screen made of 1/2 hardware cloth. It produces incredibly fine, loamy compost that is great for seed starting among other things.
I don't always sift. Most of the compost I produce goes into the garden looking like your picture. The only drawback is that carbon-rich materials will absorb nitrogen from the soil. I figure there's so much nitrogen in the compost still that it's still beneficial to add to the garden.

Hey okay I have two large cochin growing up. I understand these do not fly ..
In the Silkie coop where they grew up they slept in the corner under a table the sussex roosted on .. Now the grow out coop they are in now, has one roost bar and one table .. The sussex sleep on the roost bar the Cochin sleep on the floor.. Maybe there needs to be a new coop
for just Cochin ?

Yes it is a thing... a very consuming thing in my experience. I doofy compost through a screen made of 1/2 hardware cloth. It produces incredibly fine, loamy compost that is great for seed starting among other things.
I don't always sift. Most of the compost I produce goes into the garden looking like your picture. The only drawback is that carbon-rich materials will absorb nitrogen from the soil. I figure there's so much nitrogen in the compost still that it's still beneficial to add to the garden.
Ok. I can see that. I don't add anything too large to my tumblers because it will slow them down, though I have hand picked out some larger items like a twig or mango or avo seed. What is left in there continues to break down pretty quick and my garden tolerates well after I turn it in. Never had a problem with leaching with my tumblers. Pre tumbler, horse poop days- yes. :p
For my starts I use Pro potting mix with VERY little horse poop. I have bad luck with starting anything if my soil is too rich. I am close to maxed out in my garden boxes with compost. Ha ha- Imagine that. My garden is so small and my compost so quick and I have so much available. Never had THAT problem EVER and I think it may be a top ten of awesome problems to have. Oh what to do?!! Think I will chipmunk it for my future raised garden or make a compost box for the girls to play and pick till I want it. Yep. That would be good.

You don't have a corner on the market with dumb birds. LOL. I try not to confuse mine either. I have one pair of birds that share a brain, and I think some days they rent it out altogether.

We have one particularly dumb EE. Enough so that she stands out. I thought she'd get it together once she matured, started laying, but nope! Still on the lower end of the brains spectrum and she's nearly 1 yo. oh well, at least she lives a safe life.

I got up between 4 and 4:15 am everyday for nearly 50 years. It's only been the last 5 - 6 months that I've been gradually sleeping later. I like it! :) And, another reason why I don't use poop boards in my coop. My clan is easily confused and they might think it's a nest box as well. After I built the ladder style roost bars it was kind of sad watching them try to figure out how to get down. They go up fine, but after nearly a year they still struggle. So I'll just keep scooping poo from the floor under their roost everyday. It's less confusing for them.
I found it first thing in the morning so I think it was dropped overnight. Oh well.

I do not use poop boards either never have never will..
this is good shot of how mine go. They have three tables built from pallets.. They have made choices on tables according to ages so far and it all works
002.jpg

Good afternoon gardeners. Well I did more than run the hose out there today. I got some weeding done, planted the asparagus, made a little spot for some alyssum and Chinese forget me nots. The alyssum is yellow, I've never seen that color before. I also planted Nastrurtiums in a pot and in the center of the garden. I checked to see what size pots I have for the herbs and I think I'm in good shape there if anything sprouts. Hubs is on board with garden expansion. I'm thinking some blocks, rebar and deer netting around it for an uncovered garden. Here's a few pics from today
20200126_134125.jpg
20200126_134135.jpg
20200126_134140.jpg
20200126_134157.jpg
20200126_134205.jpg
20200126_134211.jpg
20200126_134228.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom