What did you do in the garden today?

Ice storms are pretty to look at as long as they don’t pull down power lines and large branches. Everything on the ground is going to freeze solid tonight with sub freezing temps. Enjoying the DIL’s lunch.

I am behind the times on this convo, but... I was in PA during the '96 ice storm. Working at a horse ranch. For days it was all we could do to get the barn doors open, get the horses watered, fed and watered again, and that was all. We could not "pick" the stalls clean, just throw a little sawdust over the wet spots, and by then it was dark and time to go home. Every day digging out the car was a huge chore and it was a treacherous risk driving to the barn. We lost the roof on one barn and had to crowd all the horses into another building. I never saw anything like it and hope never to again. Day after day of blinding blizzards and freezing temps. No, thank you! Not beautiful! Miserable and scary!

Hello all. I went with hubs to get the results of his MRI on the ankle. It turns out he has a stress fracture in his tibia where it meets the ankle. It didn't show up in the xray. No surgery, 4 more weeks light duty at work. I walked through the garden. The cold might have killed the dill seedlings, I have more seed to put in. There's a crookneck squash that sprouted as well. I've been hunting for string of pearls for 2 years, even avoided buying from Amazon, and I finally found one today when we went to the grocery store for milk. Tomorrow we'll process 2 cockerels in the morning and then I'll need to water the garden, then dig out the hibiscus and replant in a deeper hole. Have a great weekend everyone.
View attachment 2021017

Pretty String of Pearls! Think my Catholic mother called it Rosary Plant. :)

Good morning everyone,

Busy day is about to get started. Going up to near 50 with sunshine today.
Here is a few pictures of the old garden bed..
IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG

Have a great day

Good morning gardeners. Having a nice "kind of" warm day again. The temps are around 32F right now. I didn't get the pellet stove cleaned yesterday. I took advantage of the slight thaw and temps near 40F to give the chickens an hour out of their run. They really needed it. I planted 10 leek seeds today. I used the potting soil I found in the basement. I'm not sure if that was such a good idea as it had a lot of chunky material in it. Since I have time to plant more, I used the leftover seeds from last year to see if they will grow. When these start sprouting I'll start another 10. Good luck on your potato project @BReeder! Are you using organic potatoes? It was suggested to me to buy an organic potato from Whole Foods and use that. I have a container available to plant maybe one potato plant, but I'm not sure if that will happen this year. The weather is starting to fluctuate like Spring is trying to break through. Today is nice, then the temps sink again, then rebound into mid to high 40's. I'm getting just a wee bit weary of winter since it turned cold in October. Too long. Honestly, @karenerwin I don't blame your hubs for not liking flying. So much drama at the airports, cramming too many people into small seats and don't get me started on all the germs. I'm really not a germ-a-phobe but good golly, too many people spewing germs in a small, confined space is not good for any living thing. I'm done with my rant now, have a great day everyone!

Good morning gardeners. Having a nice "kind of" warm day again. The temps are around 32F right now. I didn't get the pellet stove cleaned yesterday. I took advantage of the slight thaw and temps near 40F to give the chickens an hour out of their run. They really needed it. I planted 10 leek seeds today. I used the potting soil I found in the basement. I'm not sure if that was such a good idea as it had a lot of chunky material in it. Since I have time to plant more, I used the leftover seeds from last year to see if they will grow. When these start sprouting I'll start another 10. Good luck on your potato project @BReeder! Are you using organic potatoes? It was suggested to me to buy an organic potato from Whole Foods and use that. I have a container available to plant maybe one potato plant, but I'm not sure if that will happen this year. The weather is starting to fluctuate like Spring is trying to break through. Today is nice, then the temps sink again, then rebound into mid to high 40's. I'm getting just a wee bit weary of winter since it turned cold in October. Too long. Honestly, @karenerwin I don't blame your hubs for not liking flying. So much drama at the airports, cramming too many people into small seats and don't get me started on all the germs. I'm really not a germ-a-phobe but good golly, too many people spewing germs in a small, confined space is not good for any living thing. I'm done with my rant now, have a great day everyone!
I have to go to the airport today... flying to Arizona for three days for work.

As for the potatoes, I will buy organics going forward as that is what I intended, but the potatoes we had on the counter have small eyes that looked look like they are starting to swell so I figured, "what the heck?" and tossed them into the pantry basket go see what happens.

As for the sweet potatoes, there is less need to start with organic and the organic ones I found were really tiny. So I am using non-organic sweets. The reason it's less important to start organic with sweet potatoes is that they are less likely to be treated to prevent sprouting since they stay dormant until moistened.

Last edited:
I have to go to the airport today... flying to Arizona for three days for work.

As for the potatoes, I will buy organics going forward as that is what I intended, but the potatoes we had on the counter have small eyes that looked look like they are starting to swell so I figured, "what the heck?" and tossed them into the pantry basket go set what happens.

As core the sweet potatoes, there less need to stay with organic and the organic ones I found were really tiny. So I am using non-organic sweets. The reason it's less important to start organic with sweet potatoes is that they are less likely ti be treated to prevent sprouting since they stay dormant until moistened.
Make sure you double up on the Vitamin C. I’m interested in seeing how your potato plants do. Send pictures. :)

Back
Top Bottom