What did you do in the garden today?

SW Ga you have to be somewhat close to me and with the weather we've been having and guessing your not going to plant until the last week of March or first couple weeks of April you should be fine with that compost and area. I like to go three months but have used some at two months and it's worked fine.

Thanks. Yes, it’s been a lot colder than I had expected so we will definitely not start planting anytime soon. And I will not be adding anymore stuff to this particular area, but I do need to turn it, hopefully tomorrow

My garden (sigh) ☺
D6341D94-3D96-4229-B5E8-59C4AADABA28.jpeg

Good morning gardeners. Congratulations @TropicalBabies and of course Razzi. Spring is definitely on the way. We're getting bear warnings for the next few days. What fun! It's too soon to take pictures, but my leeks are sprouting. So the potting mix hasn't confused it yet. I did a "look around" at my starting supplies and I just need to buy some more starter "peat" pots. The ones that look like egg cartons. But back to the leeks, apparently the seeds are good for more than one season. As far as the weather here, it only got down to 21F last night with highs forecasted into the low 40's, with Sunday and Monday in the upper 40's. Yay! I really need several warm days to melt this ice pack in the back yard. Today is grocery shopping day and tomorrow laundry and pruning fruit trees. I would love to see your peach tree @karenerwin. I need to get creative with shaping my little dwarf peach tree because it doesn't resemble anything I have seen on the pruning videos. The apple trees should be fairly easy, they have a good shape already. Not much else going on, one of my Peace Lilies is blooming, my Norfolk pine has new growth coming in on the branches and my little Bay Laurel "tree" is doing well. The rosemary plants are doing well also. Stay warm and have a great day everyone.

My peach and apple trees are not in any kind of fruit tree "shape". At least not one you would want to emulate! :lau
I am trying to remember to clean out the centers, you know, open up the inside! But they don't have a very good shape.
Edited to add: I did not get any apples last year and I think only a couple of scrawny peaches on one of the 3 peach trees. (Mostly due to a freeze after the buds came out and not spraying for insects).

Last edited:
While installing the new garden fence yesterday, I realized that there's 3 more feet front to back than I thought. That makes a big difference! Instead of having 4 4x8 beds and 2 2x8 beds, I'm now able to get 6 4x8 beds into the garden. I also extended both of my on ground planting areas to 10ft long while they were planned to be 8ft and 9ft. I have a large mound of dirt to move, and the new raised beds with their increased volume will give me somewhere to put it.

❄ I like snow... I find it pretty, too. It was a balmy 42 today and we were walking around without our coats on ha ha. Spring is coming.
And here I am happy with 'snow today, gone tomorrow"

Gone all day to a class. My body was not meant to sit still for 12 hours. Miss a WHOLE 60 degree February day in a classroom, except for one hour outside, where I got windburned. LOL.

Coir bricks soaked all day. I make up some cells for later this sping tomorrow and get the peony bits into some dirt. Maybe toss a lemon seed or two into some dirt.

Tomorrow, before the rains come we'll move hay from the shed to the barn. Then we'll mark out the places for the additional apple trees that we'll add to the orchard, and measure out how much more tubing for irrigation I need to get. I'd rather do that before things get growing.

Back
Top Bottom