What did you do in the garden today?

I decided to stop fighting against the hot humid weather here in Texas, and instead plant things that will enjoy it more than I do, even though I really prefer growing cool weather crops (no cool weather to be found here, lol).

So last year I grew a bunch of eggplants, but then we had a random early freeze that killed them all off before I thought any of the eggplants were ready. I left them all alone in frustration. Now I have about ten trillion little baby eggplant sprouts everywhere. I'm surprised, because I didn't think any of the eggplants had been old enough to produce viable seeds. Should I let these grow into their own plants? I feel a little ridiculous separating them into their own little containers, but if they are good, I'd like to start giving them to people. I don't need ten trillion eggplants. I don't even like eggplant that much, lol.
I hear ya... but lightly fried egg plant is not THAT bad. Grilled or w/ a little marinara and mozzarella or in a lasagna, w/ eggs or in a soup a body can get used to it and even enjoy. I like to give away when I can but a lot of my friends don't eat fruit from the nightshade or belladonna family. I personally am not that picky.
Maybe some folks on this thread have some good recipes. I'm a BBQ gal myself and only cook basics.

Your sure going to have allot of cucumbers .. I more that way with Zucchini
We didn't start cucumbers. I'll sow those directly outside. I will be planting a lot of them though. I make homemade pickles and we eat cucumbers a lot, especially in cucumber and tomatoes salad and DW likes cucumber water. If we have a surplus, we have neighbors and relatives who would love the free produce.

I hear ya... but lightly fried egg plant is not THAT bad. Grilled or w/ a little marinara and mozzarella or in a lasagna, w/ eggs or in a soup a body can get used to it and even enjoy. I like to give away when I can but a lot of my friends don't eat fruit from the nightshade or belladonna family. I personally am not that picky.
Maybe some folks on this thread have some good recipes. I'm a BBQ gal myself and only cook basics.
Stuffed eggplant is something we like to make. Cut eggplant in half. Carve ot the center and cook the removed parts with onion, pepper, tomato, garlic, basil and oregano. Combine with cooked ground beef or ground sausage. And small portion of cooked rice, 1 or 2 eggs and some breadcrumb to achieve a meatloaf consistency. Stuff the eggplant halves with this mixture, top with mozzarella cheese and bake until eggplant is soft.

Stuffed eggplant is something we like to make. Cut eggplant in half. Carve ot the center and cook the removed parts with onion, pepper, tomato, garlic, basil and oregano. Combine with cooked ground beef or ground sausage. And small portion of cooked rice, 1 or 2 eggs and some breadcrumb to achieve a meatloaf consistency. Stuff the eggplant halves with this mixture, top with mozzarella cheese and bake until eggplant is soft.
Oh that sounds really good... :drool thank you!!!

Oh, so this is some of what all those emergency alerts were about, it must have been something... Wailua bridge stay all jam up.
10822.jpeg
10823_LI.jpg

Evening gardeners. Haven't done much outside, it has been windy and allergies have me on breathing treatments. Hubs harvested a couple artichokes today, we had them for dinner. We got some weeds pulled outside the wall surrounding our backyard and that's about it. Here's a couple snaps, have a great night
IMG_20200328_141459897_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200328_143042376.jpg

Back
Top Bottom