What did you do in the garden today?

81 degrees, 7 eggs, water garden only.
Did my Costco run this morning. Parking lot was NOT packed but had a line snaking 4 lanes thick. They are only letting in so many people at a time obviously. Out of a few things my auntie wanted but I did not want to buy her Spam or corned beef anyways... I sent her over lettuce and banana's instead lol. She resorts to WWll Hawaii survival mode... wait she is always in it. lol. She must not be the only one because I could not find her corned beef at the smaller stores either lol. Banana's it is then.
11157.jpeg
11159.jpeg

Gas lines were non existent and I breezed through the feed store. I wore my N95 mask, wiped carts and washed hands.
Has anybody heard of this site? covid19.healthdata.org?
https://covid19.healthdata.org/It is pretty fantastic. You can see the projections broken down by states. This is the BEST CASE safe social distancing, wash hands, shelter @ home scenario.
I can get so lost in my rural world that I can forget what we are up against. On that note- Stay well all!
11091.jpeg

I got a lot done outside and in the garden today! I used the chainsaw to cut up a large branch that fell from one of our enormous oak trees. Watered the garden, the strawberry patches, the apple trees and the raspberry plants. Not sure why I didn't water the peach trees too.
Had fun taking pictures of the flowers that pop up all over our yard. They were here when we moved in 13 or 14 years ago.
Hubby worked on building me a stand for my bee hive. I think I will be able to get it in place tomorrow. @WthrLady I guess it is alright to put it out for a month or so before I get my Nuc of bees? If not, let me know and I'll leave it inside. I'm not planning on putting the frames in it yet (unless you tell me I should).:)
I saw 3 honey bees today. Yes, only 3. :(
At my friend's house yesterday there were so many bees in her tree you could hear them!! They weren't swarming, they were just out foraging!! I wondered if someone near her has a hive. She didn't know but she didn't recall ever seeing so many bees around this tree.
I also got some seeds planted in starter pots. Some sunflowers, Zinnia, butterfly weed, yellow neck squash, zucchini, cucumber, hot peppers. Then it got too dark so I had to stop.
I also cleaned out the incubator to get ready for the next batch of eggs. The eggs that hadn't hatched: 1 was an early quitter ( but old enough to see that it was going to be a black chick); another had pipped internally and then died and the last 2 seemed like perfectly formed chicks, 1 had even absorbed the yolk, but neither of them had pipped internally. :rant
So, @penny1960, how many chicks did you end up with?
@TropicalBabies, it looks like having everyone stand in line like that puts them all a lot closer together than if they were just all let into the store like normal!!

Getting ready to make chocolate chip cookies!!

Hey there well had 2 out but lost 2 ticked me off the one was okay till the pad turned off it got cold put a 125 light on it then it hid and died
I guess these were from your new incubator and not under a broody (otherwise you wouldn't have needed a heat pad).
Seems like none of us are having very good hatches at the moment.
I'm putting more eggs in tomorrow and will try again.
Sorry that you lost both of the chicks. :hugs

I guess these were from your new incubator and not under a broody (otherwise you wouldn't have needed a heat pad).
Seems like none of us are having very good hatches at the moment.
I'm putting more eggs in tomorrow and will try again.
Sorry that you lost both of the chicks. :hugs
I love, love, love the flowers coming up in your yard. How absolutely wonderful and dreamy!!!
So good to see and mahalo for sharing 😍

Good morning gardeners. The ground was too soggy yesterday to haul dirt up to the new garden bed so that is on hold until later this weekend. I did get the soil tested under the hoop. Not good. The ph is 7 which is OK, but the nutrients are severely depleted. I do have some organic additives on hand. I'm also going to dig up some compost from the bottom of the compost piles to give it a boost as well. I will be testing the soil in the pea patch today so will see how that goes. I ordered a new bird bath for the backyard. This one was on sale and it comes with a solar powered fountain. I'm turning the old bird bath (which came with the house) into a planter for impatiens. So I can enjoy them but the chickens can't. Spring is in slow motion, but it is here at last. We're supposed to have rain showers and winds today and tomorrow so nothing planned for outside. I guess cleaning and seeing what is available through online shopping is about all that's going to happening now. Loved all the pictures, thank you. Have a great day everyone.

Back
Top Bottom