What did you do in the garden today?

Cloudy day - we’ve had 1 sunny day in the last 10 days. :( Next, we get clouds and rain for a few days :(:(.

planted the potatoes, 3 kinds. Need to put some of the starts in bigger pots. Need to figure out the garden plan too. The large bed has yellow blossom clover starting to grow. Hopefully it will start to flower within 8 weeks so I can till it under for green manure.

The baby chicks are 6 weeks old. They are getting harassed by 2 or 3 of the flock. Of course, the lowest ranking hen is one of the harassers, along with one or two of the older hens (that are not low on the pecking order). We have a safe place for them to run to that the older chickens can’t get in. In another couple of weeks they should be more accepted and will hang together in their little group, giving the higher ranking chickens their space. Always interesting to watch how the pecking order gets established, etc.

Spouse’s work has mandated face masks for employees starting today. They are in an essential area, and work with the public. A few days ago I had made some fabric face masks for the employees if they wanted any for their personal use - no one knew of any policy change yet, so it was well timed. They gave me a thank you card and an Easter basket filled with candy for the masks! Payment in chocolate is always a good thing. Of course the resident teen child ate nearly the entire bag of caramel filled eggs... today, I’m sewing more masks bc they would each like 2 so they can wash/dry one and switch out.

Good morning gardeners. The rain has finally stopped. It's too soggy for any outdoor plans today, however, I may finally be able to spray my peach tree. Tomorrow I plan on planting my hoop bed with lettuce, cabbage, carrots and endive. Also, I should be getting the peas planted as well. Hopefully, I'll be able to haul some more dirt before the rain starts up again on Wednesday. And yes @BReeder! shoveling soggy garden dirt is a pain. It's a lot heavier than dry dirt. I finally ran out of stove pellets so I'm using the furnace for the main parts of the house and a space heater in the sunroom. It's an oil filled radiator type and I've never really used it before. It's been my "back up" plan for the last 12 years. It works really well. I have it set on low and it's keeping the sunroom around 63F. Wood pellets sold out in early March so I'm OK. I nearly have my shopping list for my coop expansion completed. As a sign of the times, I am waiting until Monday to place the order. The last time I was out of the house was on Tuesday. I want to wait another couple of days to make sure I have not contracted Covid-19. That's pretty sad when you have to plan your daily activities around a disease. I highly encourage you @pasdechat73 to try to get at least a small chest freezer for storage. Living in a small community, you just never know when you won't be able to get to the grocery store. That's why I, like @WthrLady have freezers and stock up. I try to take advantage of meat specials whenever possible. It also comes in handy for storing homemade baked goods and your home grown veggies. Just MHO. It's tough shaking the gloom of several rainy days so I'm trying to focus on the sunny days to come and getting the garden planted. Have a great day everyone and stay healthy.

Termites!
I am taking a raised bed apart that was made of corrugated steel sheets and wooden posts. I found termites all over inside one end and the two posts were heavily damaged. Any garden safe ideas to quickly eradicate then? I want tp be able tp grow veg in the soil still and eat it. I'm open to chemicals as long as they are safe to garden in.

Back
Top Bottom