What did you do in the garden today?

What kinds?
I'm planting Yukon Gold and Kennebec. I wanted to put some Russets out too but my little DIY seed potato project is not showing much progress. There sweet potato project is going very well though.

from TSC:
8CEB97E2-10D9-430F-BF4F-F283D53AC3CC.jpeg

And then Kennebec from the feed store- bought in bulk.

the Yukon gold were split internally, but not rotted, so I’m not sure what caused that. I planted them anyway - nice eyes, looked good externally and handled being cut and cured for 7 days without any signs of rotting.

Just got back from town. I went in to get more sewing needles and another two yards of white cotton. I have never said I am sick of sewing, but I'm sick of sewing.

Argh.
My sinus' will NOT stop draining. OC I HAD to drive with the window open because it's nice out. SO my throat is sore from draining and I'm drowning.

I SHOULD have gone first thing this morning. It was crowded. I grabbed a number as soon as I walked in the door. 44, they were on 21. (noon)

So while I waited I picked up some more fun fabrics. My dad wants a mask or two, so I had to pick up guy fabric.

TWO hours later, I checked out. All of that was waiting for cutting person. I'd guess, about 80% of people were wearing masks, almost all either incorrectly, the wrong size, or used masks. People were looking for elastic because that's what the pattern called for and had NO idea how to make anything else out of anything else. It was sad really.

One lady was buying vinyl for in between her layers so "those damn Chinese germs can't get in". Um.....ok. YA going to breathe through your eyeballs?

Two ladies bitching about the masks inside the whole time, when they got out, ripped them off and shoved them in their pockets, and one exclaimed, "OMG, it is SO good to breathe fresh air again." Then they both promptly lit up ciggies and got in their car.
::banging head:::

Can we be done now?

I have all my scraps of fabric ironed, and the stuff I got today is in the dryer. I have plenty of fabric, it's the ties that will be of short supply. I have elastics, and cords, and can make ties, and weave ties on my floor loom which is specifically designed to do that. I'm just burning out!
I'll make some for us, some for our resident state trooper, and my family in Ohio. After that I'll start putting them on my etsy. site. I make nice ones; contoured, nose wire pocket (adding in a chenille stem), around the head ties/elastic, different sizes, and a pocket IF you want to put another mask or filtering material in there. And of course, pre-washed/pre-shunk, fully machine washible and dryer friendly.

OH an old dog I was in line for for 4 weeks from the shelter, went to someone else. I'm really bummed about it. I can't stand the application process. Sigh. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

I think I finally have a broody. Although she is NUTS! It's Freya, one of my Icelandics. We affectionately call her the scream-a-pillar. (simpson's.... google it) No one would dare go near her. I can't decide if I want to let her BE broody as she's an easy break. 12 hours or less if I want to. I guess it would just cost me 6 eggs to find out.
My previous dog was named Freya! She was a wonderful dog!:love

Mundane housework dominated the day...cleaning the grout, caulking around the sinks, toilets and showers, mopping and sweeping. Glad its done! Also managed to turn over the shavings and leaves from the bottom of our spring/summer coop and blend into Mr. Compost Post. Cleaned out the nursery and let the babies play and flutter about! I can't believe how big they're getting!! 2 months they'll be on the 12th. My Japanese bantams love to spar with each other. Big britches they have for such tiny tots!!

@Wee Farmer Sarah -- you and @WthrLady are spot-on. I can't believe we're still dealing with our icebox (or freezer for most people; I grew up calling it an 'ice box') from god knows when. Not to mention, it will be more cost-effective in the long run. Our grocery store is 40 minutes away so I try to stock pile the best I can.

Speaking of meat...marinaded a skirt steak for Carne asada tonight. Will make some Pico de gallo in a while as I love it to pieces with Mexican inspired dishes. Daughter kept herself busy today making DIY facial masks and other goodies from the garden and cupboard. I look forward to a much needed facial. And of course, BBQ!!

Have a wonderful evening everyone!! Thinking of y'all and hoping everyone stays healthy and safe. We're going to get through this!!! ~holls

Lots of yard er, chicken yard work. Set up some temporary fencing outside the original run so the girls could finally have some fresh grass (and help clear a future garden plot for mom :cool: ). Then went to work perking up their run with a tire swing, more perches, a slide and some freshly raked dirt. Also moved the chimenea to the new deck and created a cozy seating area. Planted some raspberries and a mulberry tree and then relaxed (ie collapsed) by a cozy fire. If I’m able to walk upright tomorrow there’s a pear tree, more raspberries, blueberries and hydrangeas to plant. At least the happy songs of my girls will keep my company!

Back
Top Bottom