What did you do in the garden today?

Today I moved containers around to where I wanted them, planted carrots and beets. Yesterday I planted two rows of onions and a row of potatoes.

I have edible pod sugar peas, more carrots, turnips and beet seeds on their way from Burpee Seeds. They should be here tomorrow or the next day.

I had planned to go completely 'container' this year but the world had other plans for the spring. As a result, getting out to buy wood to make the containers was impossible as I am a high risk individual. So I'm using what containers I have and DH is busy tilling a garden spot for us. My joints are still giving me a lot of trouble but where there is a will there is a way.

I have tomatoes, tomatillos, spring and winter butternut squash started along with sugar pumpkins. The challenge will be to find places to plant everything!

Hope everyone is having as nice a spring as possible. Stay healthy everyone!

They kinda of make a cool noise too! If the little one is still up let him listen...sometimes they start going at night XD
They haven't emerged from the ground here. We get a few each summer and then a huge swarm every so many years (7 or 10 I think, but cannot recall). Right now these ones were still in a lower stage of life when they live underground because they are certainly not as big and colorful as their sexually mature relatives who leave exoskeletons laying around everywhere during the occasional swarm.

That's a shell. They molt several times while they grow underground long before they emerge and drive us nuts.
My daughter was fascinated with them when she was younger. Especially at night when they'd start chirping on our front porch. I remember them between late spring - throughout fall. I don't see them here (our last and final move!) but was surprised to meet them during one of our several moves in the past 10 years of SoCal. I read they're more likely to be on the east than west?

Last edited:
Its purple fountain grass I picked up half dead at Lowe's this winter for $1. It's just coming back! In amongst my wandering Jew.
I LOVE the clearance rack at lowes! Makes me sad we might not be able to do as much plant browsing and buying as normal this year. I just want to be in my happy place which is a well stocked greenhouse full of perennials and vegetables and herbs! 😭 Good thing I saved a lot of flats and trays last year. Gonna have to get ahold of more seeds and seed starting mix! I need my plants!

Aloha garden gang!
Weather has been clear with occasional showers. We are in the 80's... with the humidity it was a tad miserable yesterday, mosquitoes are thick and smart.
Starting to feel the effects of shelter in place a bit the last 2 days. Time for me to make a list and give myself the kick in the pants that I need. The news is just so bad, maybe that has something to do with my slump. Ya think?

We had a truck drive the neighborhood giving out big chunks of fresh Ahi (tuna)fish from a cooler as a community service. Very generous.

I posted an add on craigslist selling horse compost for $3. a feed bag full. My phone has been on fire with responses. Glad my island neighbors are getting their garden on. I Ask for exact cash and they pick up ready made bags- I also will deliver to those who do not have a truck. So far it has worked well- no touchy feely . 😷🤙
11512.jpeg
11510.jpeg

I have sold 30 bags and barely made a dent in our big pile. My back is a little sore for my efforts though...
Loving all the garden photos. My only question is where are the chickens in this mix??!! There is no way my girls would let those beautiful tender morsels exist. Love the big open spaces folks :love full happy jealous.
Here is my little garden sprouting onions, carrots, radishes and Cherry toms int the 3'
20200407_162956.jpg

I have no idea. Maybe Loofa... lol. Good thing I've done this b4... Zzzzz not seeing what i should
20200407_163056.jpg
20200407_163021.jpg

Still getting enough Tom's to use and share but will open this up to the girls pretty soon.

And my little rescued fuzzy legged comic reliefs- Storm and Dusty. I screened in my brooder and moved them in so the mosquitoes wont bite them and give them disease. Many of the wild chicks have gotten fowl pox bad enough to die from. I will shuffle everybody again when the teens are ready to brave the big coop and mob permanently and/or mosquitoes die down.
20200407_163231.jpg
20200407_163234.jpg

I picked up my wild child momma and her brood of 7 the first night and moved them into the mini nesting coop. Teens are in the connected mini next to her and her brood with outside privileges a few times a day. What a circus. :jumpy Chicken math.. 5+2 = 24... :confused:
20200407_163157.jpg

Get dirty- Stay well all!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom