What did you do in the garden today?

I LOVE the clearance rack at lowes! Makes me sad we might not be able to do as much plant browsing and buying as normal this year. I just want to be in my happy place which is a well stocked greenhouse full of perennials and vegetables and herbs! 😭 Good thing I saved a lot of flats and trays last year. Gonna have to get ahold of more seeds and seed starting mix! I need my plants!

Same! I spent a small fortune on seeds this year. At least I can stay in my house and try to grow all of the things.

I have something that is starting to sprout in the greenhouse wagon!! I can't tell what it is yet. But it is sprouting!! I direct sowed some lettuce and a lettuce mix in the garden today. Then I started digging out the sod to expand the garden. I didn't get very far! :lau About 2 feet long and a foot or 18 inches wide. Well, it's a start.
I was very surprised at how heavy it was to move :eek:I was putting the pieces of sod in a plastic trash can on wheels and still had a hard time moving it across the yard to put it in the chicken yard.

My friend called me to tell me that she heard about making "Wild Violet jelly" so she was out in her yard picking Violets! I can't wait to hear how it turned out!!
When I cut the grass I made sure to avoid the big sections of wild violets so the bees would still have a food source. Got everything watered. Everything looks to be growing well except for the 1 elderberry tree that arrived with a huge split down the middle ( from the top) about 3 inches long. I may need to contact Stark Brothers and see what they say. The other elderberry is starting to get little buds but not that one.
I dug up 3 of the young cicadas too when I was removing sod.

Had some help with getting the sod up after the SO came home. After about another hour at it I physically could do no more. I think I'm just coming off my "winter body" (then again I did work on it for a total of 4 hours yesterday...:idunno) and I need to power through so I'm hitting it hard again today. Bad storm last night with penny size hail but at least the sod is still moist. We managed to get up a grand total of 5ft x 6ft. Not quite halfway done but a step in the right direction. I've been putting the sod on a low point in our yard that hasn't been able to grow grass. It looks like an awkward jigsaw puzzle :lau

Good morning gardeners. Finally got the new garden bed loaded up with dirt. Yay! We're having some brief showers this morning so I will wait until later to test the soil. My new bird bath arrived. I put it together and filled it with water. The fountain works well, however, there is a hole in it so the water streams out of the side. It looks like it is intended but I can't imagine what purpose it serves. I need to plug that up so there is enough water left in the basin for the birds. Next job on the garden front is to "harvest" as much compost as I can from my piles and add that to the beds. I will try to scrape some of the dirt from the chicken run as well then replace that with fresh dirt from my pile. Flowers are starting to grow faster now. My daylilies are growing well. The tiny daffodils I planted last year are up and in full bloom, however, in true "Wee Farm" fashion, they are only about 5 inches tall. I could take a picture but I would have to lay down on the grass to get a good shot of them. LOL! I just love all the pictures that have been posted. Thank you. Have a great day everyone and keep those hands covered in garden dirt.

After another 2 hours or so in the garden taking out sod, the sun was beaming down on me and I gave up...for now. Later in the after noon I might resume. I dont have very much places left to put it all so I might just let that kiddie pool take care of the rest over the coarse of a couple of days. The garden last year was 10 x 10. This years expansion will make it 20 x 10. In all the work I put in today I got 2 rows of 5 feet long removed. The kiddie pool covers about 5 feet in diameter. I'll have some help later but I am very much leaning towards having the pool do the rest of the work for me.
That is a lot of work! What will you be planting in your garden this year?

That is a lot of work! What will you be planting in your garden this year?
Luffa, broccoli, radish, cukes, green beans, corn, tomato, green pepper, sun flower, jalapeno, and lettuce are all planned. We plan to do at least 8 rows of corn so thats what this addition to the garden is going to contain. We're trying to grow anything and everything our family consumes. I'd like to try asparagus at some point but having to wait 2 years for it...well just not ready for that. Especially since we plan to make our garden even bigger next year

Luffa, broccoli, radish, cukes, green beans, corn, tomato, green pepper, sun flower, jalapeno, and lettuce are all planned. We plan to do at least 8 rows of corn so thats what this addition to the garden is going to contain. We're trying to grow anything and everything our family consumes. I'd like to try asparagus at some point but having to wait 2 years for it...well just not ready for that. Especially since we plan to make our garden even bigger next year
Nice list! Do you have previous experience with luffa? I've read once it's in it can be difficult to get rid of so I'm curious about others experience with it.
I have a nice covered garden right now but we're working to expand by adding a full sun garden in another area for the same reason, to be able to produce much more at home.

Anyone have insight to what’s up with some of my broccoli starts? These have been transplanted about 2 weeks or so ago and leaves are turning? Not sure if it’s nitrogen deficiency or a fungal thing?? AD8CF4E3-362B-4C50-9F2F-9F4A56AA30EB.jpeg AD8CF4E3-362B-4C50-9F2F-9F4A56AA30EB.jpeg FE5F39C9-C50B-4AB8-804C-32F229E86F3F.jpeg 7E6D66BF-4146-47F7-8D11-285675BD428C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom