What did you do in the garden today?

hey fellow gardeners:) I have half my 16x30 garden plot planted, corn and beans starting to come up, squash seedlings transplanted, and artichokes doing ok. small still so no chokes yet.
still harvesting my remaining spinach, lettuce and a few tomatoes.
AZ has a heavy clay soil too, I've added a LOT of goat, chicken and horse manure over the years so in theory it should be good.
My biggest battle is weeds, ALL the weeds
Another person from AZ, welcome! I'm with you on the weeds, at least I only have them in the garden. The chickens take care of the rest.

really?? my chickens barely touch my weeds. granted I only have 12 free rangers until my youngsters get bigger...and an acre of weeds.
I don't have nearly that space and the same amount of chickens. I think they got ahead of it when everything went to seed and they had all winter to clean things up. Before that they just grazed on the grass and a few select weeds they liked. Maybe you need more chickens! :gig

I mad a wild violet simple syrup last year. Very nice.
20190515_195807.jpg
20190514_151239.jpg

Can someone help me with butter lettuce...

I'm wondering how you harvest it and when you know you should harvest?
I never grew butter lettuce but did grow green leaf lettuce very successfully last year. When the head looks like lettuce from the store take it. If you wait too long it can get coarse and bitter I found. Any sign of a stem shooting up to eventually produce seeds and you better take the head right away. I was pulling the entire plant last year, but have since read that it's better to cut with a sharp knife just above the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom