What did you do in the garden today?

I have some flower beds, but I don't manage them as well as I probably should. I'm thinking of starting some purposefully planted pollinator beds full of flowers. I much prefer perennials or prolific self seeders. Any suggestions would be welcome. :)

I have a perenial garden. Mountain lorels, tiger lillies, phlox, and day lillies are great. You can also get marigolds, hyacinths, crocuses, bleeding hearts, elephant ears, hostas, tulips, mini roses, daffodils. Their are many choices that I haven't listed as well.

Good afternoon gardeners. I got out to water the succulents, turned the compost bins after adding a bunch of stuff and made the pop door for the chicks smaller so the bigs can't get into the mini coop. The wee ones are over 4 weeks and fully feathered so it's time to get some experience. We're supposed to hit 80 today but the next couple of days are supposed to be cooler. I'm hoping to get out front on one of those days to get some weeds pulled. Most have died off but there are a few stragglers. Have a great day all!

I have some flower beds, but I don't manage them as well as I probably should. I'm thinking of starting some purposefully planted pollinator beds full of flowers. I much prefer perennials or prolific self seeders. Any suggestions would be welcome. :)
Probably not good for a specific bed maybe but maybe some wildflowers somewhere? I have tons of wildflower seeds I’ve been meaning to plant but haven’t gotten around to it yet. :lau I’m planning on like a hill or somewhere truly “wild” though. Not sure if it work for a bed but they have specific blends for bees and pollinators or butterflies, etc. so if you want pollinators that might be a good idea.

I have a perenial garden. Mountain lorels, tiger lillies, phlox, and day lillies are great. You can also get marigolds, hyacinths, crocuses, bleeding hearts, elephant ears, hostas, tulips, mini roses, daffodils. Their are many choices that I haven't listed as well.
Most of the existing flowers and flowering shrubs here came with the house. I spent the first summer just observing what was already here. I'm not too crazy about the location of some of those as they are not suited to the location. I have a healthy looking hydrangea that has not bloomed since I've been here. I fed it bone meal and if that doesn't work, I'm replacing it. The only flowers I have planted are some daffodils, zinnias, dahlias and some wildflowers mixed in with my herb garden as well as lavender and mint (only in pots). I have some black-eyed susans that I'll be planting when the ground has warmed up. Also have started some nasturtiums to go into the new vegetable garden bed. The one flower I'm particularly fond of are the day lilies. They are in both the front yard and also behind my main vegetable garden. There are lilies of the valley planted with the day lilies in the front which I'm not particularly fond of since they are toxic. I do like the flowers and am trying to divert a little attention to them now, mainly to develop a strong cutting garden. But my main focus is on the vegetable gardens since that is food for me.

Probably not good for a specific bed maybe but maybe some wildflowers somewhere? I have tons of wildflower seeds I’ve been meaning to plant but haven’t gotten around to it yet. :lau I’m planning on like a hill or somewhere truly “wild” though. Not sure if it work for a bed but they have specific blends for bees and pollinators or butterflies, etc. so if you want pollinators that might be a good idea.
You guys are on 3 acres with woods right? I'd pick a sunny spot and toss out the seeds and water. With a lot of wildflowers you practically don't need to actually plant the seeds.

Back
Top Bottom