What did you do in the garden today?

Dollar store is there plave to buy triple antibiotic ointment with out painkiller
only place to get it if you buy the liquid bendaryl for your Pug get the childrens please better suited to her size
Thanks for the tip. I used a single benadryl pill cuz that's what the vet said to use but then again that was 15 years ago. I'll get the children's liquid next trip there. It's a good bet this will happen again, lots of yellow jackets here.

Today we weeded the rest of our garden and got more of the soil amended as best we could- the chickens really love scratching through the old weeds and clippings.

At the moment I'm just tossing them in the yard to dry out and then, once they've dried a bit, I'm going to throw them into my compost bin.

Now I'm looking at mowing down some grass and planning for some new raised beds, gonna see what kind of harvest I can net with what's left of the year.

:wee

Attachments

• byclocate.jpg
    byclocate.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 5
We pulled the trigger and bought a haymaking trio for the ranch. We've been hiring a team to do it every year since we've been here. They are impossible to find. It's never the same team twice. They do not communicate. The don't come when I want my hay harvested (early - more alfalfa and grasses late- grass and twigs (cattle hay)) They always come late. Forget to come and bale after taking it down. Allow it to get rained on. On and on and on.

The equipment will never pay for itself. It is ridiculously expensive. We decided before we even bought it that we would refuse any one that asked us to do their fields. (Our field is meticulously maintained and clean.) I don't want to damage or ruin the machinery on hidden garbage in their field as the closest repair for this machine is a day round trip drive. And it would leave me without a machine. But at least we'll be getting our hay in when we want it. BUT UGH......$$$$$$$$ ya know?

Just throwing this out, but maybe you could make the hay equipment pay for itself by working out a lease arrangement with other people's fields? Like, inspect it in the winter or run a harrow to see if there are stumps/trash/thistles ,and if their field is good quality, enter into a 60/40 (in your favor) agreement for the hay, as long as the field remains closed off.

I will!
And no one will step up and defend Pickled Okra!?!??

All this hate for okra! - even from a Louisiana person! I love okra, pickled, deep-fried, and especially in gumbo. I admit, you have to develop a taste for it - as a kid I also hated the sliminess, but trying it in different dishes over the years has made me love it. To me, it's like a cross between asparagus and a small squash in usefulness and taste.

I hope we can start a seed exchange with @TropicalBabies for our starts on those loofa. Not like I am cheap but she said the seeds have to be extracted, and it is a royal PITA to do so. I'm more than happy to let USPS do the heavy lifting. I also have heat/drought tolerant self fertile basil and dill if anyone would consider this as a worthy project here to offer.

It has probably been done already here on ChickenFB but heritage seeds do deserve protection. Additionally if anyone can point me where this post should be please do so. PM's welcome.
If my loofahs turn out successful, I would gladly exchange loofah seeds for some of your basil seeds.
I love your idea of exchanging seeds in general.

@NewBoots - love the chicken fountain! Adorable! Poor Lucy, hope shes feeling fine.

@TropicalBabies Awwww! Love them & the hutch looks awesome. Are you happy with it so far or planning any changes already? LOL

@penny1960 - that's my life story, something keeps eating my cuke starts every time they pop up! :he I feel your pain.

@Acre4Me WOW thats some nice work! They look fantastic! I think your beans are in a little tighter than mine so that makes me feel soo much better & I won't do much, if any, thinning.

@karenerwin that's great that your mom decided to give up the apartment. I'm sure it's a big relief that it doesn't have to be forced on her.

Good morning gardeners! Not much going on in the garden, might move a few plants around since the stupid bunny keeps eating my stuff. I really want to run to the garden store & get some cuke starts, I'm sick of planting seeds for him to just eat them as soon as they break thru the soil. But I probably won't, I hate leaving the house, lol. I am absolutely amazed at how quick the arugula came up! Holy cow, it was literally 3 days.

I like the idea of a seed exchange too, I just have nothing interesting or fun to offer. I just buy my basic, trusty ole producers online every year or 2. :confused:

Have a great day all!

Last edited:
Good morning gardeners and okra haters. Thank you @littledog. For those of us who know how to cook just about anything and make it tasty. I'm surprised @FortCluck, when do "vegans" eat gumbo? There's a lot of animal protein in there. And I'm sure @Xalthir knows that okra and a well made roux are key to a decent gumbo. But onto the garden. I gave the garden a good watering yesterday. I finally found something for my flower garden border. Apparently there's a whole lot of gardening going on right now. On the way home from the store I stopped at a local nursery and picked up some pickling cucumber starts and an extra tomato plant. Something ate 2 of my cucumber plants. But everything else is doing well. The cabbage and lettuce is growing. The peas are climbing up the rope. And all but 3 of my potato plants need to be hilled already. I had forgotten about the dill seeds I scattered in one of my herb beds, but there are some dill plants coming up. The radishes I planted recently are coming up as well. I need to do more work on the baby coop today. I counted up my remaining 2 x 4's and I need to pick up a few more for the run. I should be done with that sometime next week. I'm glad you are able to communicate better with your mother @karenerwin. But just a thought, nursing homes are really expensive. Have you compared the cost of her remaining in the apartment and having home health aides help her. Have a great day everyone.

I heard potatoes and tomatoes are poisonous recently, I’ve never fed my chickens potatoes or their greens but they’ve had tomato before. Sometimes the whole plant or leftover food with tomato in it and they like it. :oops:
Tomatoes are fine but the green part of the plant can be toxic to them. Any nightshades are so no eggplant greens either.

Back
Top Bottom