What did you do in the garden today?

There are no words for how hot and humid it is where I live so we will just continue to call it Mississippi. Ugh! Gross! One second you are fine the next you are soaking. That’s all it takes.
All I did in the Garden was look at our tomatoes and look at the cucumbers we had planted alongside our herbs not all of them were dry but we had talked about how we were going to water them today if they were in need or not and most were not even in need from the other night but my husband thought they could use watering some.

Here's three of the boys. The darker ones didn't photograph well in the bright sun. I have so much FLUFF!View attachment 2178515
Are they like dogs and hide under the bed when they get a hair cut or are they just so relieved to get rid of all that hot hair?

Garden activity: I gave the birds cold water (got to 88 here today and everyone was walking around with their wings hanging) and used their nasty old water to water the seedling butternut squash I had planted out near their run.

My run is made of chain link kennel panels so I can move them around. This spring I switched them around so they could scratch in last year's garden, but it left me with a strip of 8X12 bare earth that just begged to have something planted in it. I wound up planting squash in it, 4 started plants and about a dozen seeds that are now coming up along with a runt tomato plant that I didn't think was going to survive the temperature swings we had this spring. It did. It's still small and I thought it was a goner at least twice but it's making a rebound. I planted a tomato plant near the chicken coop so they could have fresh tomatoes.

We used to have a blackberry arbor near the coop and used to toss bad berries to them before two hard winters did the bushes in. It was a riot to watch them line up at the fence and beg for berries.

As for the blackberries. Don't believe it when they say that triple crowns are winter hardy black berries, Every TC and one other variety of thornless blackberry plants we had (over 100 plants) died off due to harsh winters. We are in zone 6B which they were rated as being hardy for ...... but weren't.

Oh a high note, it's going to be a bumper crop of wild raspberries this year! If I can beat the wildlife to them.

The peonies in the front yard are really tall this year so I think I may stake them.
Oh pictures please when they flower? I so miss peonies. And the modern colors are just gorgeous.
but I guess I give up. Maybe I'll just move a bush squash to that pot.
I've given up on the biggest potted okra, just won't thrive. I'm putting a tomato in that pot.
Year before I remember checking the peaches before going to bed and gauged they were ready to be picked in 48 hours and turned into peach jam. Got up the next morning, went out to check them again and ever danged peach was gone. Left in their place were these tidy piles of pits.
That is insult added to injury. My dad had a dwarf peach that had terrible peach leaf curl for years. We kept trying to spray it but nothing helped. One year the tree went nuts, produced tons of huge sweet fruit, I couldn't make the pies fast enough, we froze bags of the sliced fruit, and ate fresh ones till we couldn't face another peach. The flavor was the best it had ever had. The poor tree died that next spring. It had given us one last hurrah.

Good afternoon gardeners, another lazy day in the house. I made a big batch of quinoa salad. So good with tomatoes, onions, couple kinds of olives, mint, basil, parsley, snap peas, marinated artichokes, and dried cranberries. Italian type dressing with a little sesame oil added. Sounds like a mess really but it's delicious. And bbq pork ribs. :)

Oh and I had to rescue my snap peas this morning. I didn't support them properly and some vines actually snapped completely off. Lucky I didn't lose more vines and the rabbits were happy to receive the wreckage.

After you put their halters on, they get flipped on their sides, and their legs spread tightly back and front. They aren't a fan of this part, but are used to it. Usually if they are laying down, it's on their terms, or a jaguar is eating them. In which case, they don't care.

5 of mine just lay there and get shaved and go out to play.

One hums to match the pitch of the shearing tool. Like a kid laying in front of a fan squealing loudly to hear the funny noise. But he doesn't mind.

My grand champion had fleece almost 9 inches thick and DENSE> OMG he must have been so HOT.

Back
Top Bottom