What did you do in the garden today?

Thank you @Wee Farmer Sarah - I'm making them now (I just finished grating the squash actually) & all I have is yellow squash so good! I'm going to try a sub with 1/2 coconut flour & half parm cheese & see how that works because that's what I have on hand.
They sound yummy. Except I’m allergic to coconut. But the cheese should be nice. I think the flour is mostly a binding agent or something like that to give it a little structure.

Ohhh, who here was I talking to about garlic? Someone had a ton of it...course I battle CRS (can't remember s**t) & don't remember who it was!

I think I might be almost ready to pull it - it's getting very brown. I've heard it's time to pull with a little green still left otherwise the bulbs will start to break open. True? Or should I let it go all brown?
I’m not sure about garlic, but I know it’s in the same family as onions and shallots. So I would assume they have the same harvesting rules.

Thanks @Kenzelton the 3rd - I watched a couple google videos & I think I have a few more weeks to go. I guess I'm shooting for half the leaves brown, half green. :idunno

The fritters came out great! I added a pinch or 5 of cheyenne & they are super good. I will def make again. It took 3 batches to get the heat of the pan & the thickness right, but now I know.

Nice! Yes wait for about half of the foilage to die back, the top of the bulb will be papery looking.
Thank you so much! I have some that are much smaller since they were planted much later so I should have a staggered crop.
,jam tarts,scones ,veg stew
Yum! Especially scones with melted butter and raspberry jam...mmmm
My okra buds are still growing @NewBoots. So hopefully I'll get some okra out of them.
I have a few okra! Here is one:
Okra!.jpg

I'm so excited!

@NewBoots I love to see others gardening in flip flops. ;) It's too hot for socks & sneakers.
Heh, you caught me, going to wear them again today once I head out again. I'll also be wearing my shabby home-cut jean shorts. :D
I might try fritters with my yellow squash since I'm swimming in it now.
Lots of the yellow ones here now too and the fritters sound awesome. All the leftovers from the 4th are eaten so I need to cook again anyway.

Good afternoon gardeners, no rain and likely none from now until September other than a few light misty evenings so I'll be watering just about every day till then or the crop of whatever ends. I have to say I am amazed how long the snap peas are producing, cutting the tops out to keep them from tipping over seems to have really spurred the lower growth and production. The strawberries are starting to color up and we've about eaten all the raspberries. Some friends with mature bushes are going to bring us some of theirs. Can't wait! The blueberry bushes are so young that there are only a few ripe berries and I'm still waiting on the gooseberries to get ripe.

Have a few more tomatoes to stake, I did thin out some of the suckers and crazy growth. My carrots are not impressive but the radishes look nice. Here's the current view of the planting deck:
Deck as of 7.7.20.jpg

I'm going to have to take out the marigold I planted in the middle of a big pot of peppers, it's turned into a monster and taken over the pot.

Has anyone ever canned kale or other greens? Is it possible? I have a ton of delicious kale but we can only eat so many and I hate giving so much of it to the chickens (who dearly love it). It's just that when I cook it, it cooks down a lot like spinach and I can't see how that would work for canning. Kale chips are delicious but again you can only eat so many and they tend to pick up moisture from the air and lose that crispy texture. Time to hit the internet I guess.

Oh and here's my dill (and my crazy kale too) and a native campanula we transplanted from the old house.
Dill.jpg

Native Campanula.jpg

The campanula is so happy, it's finally getting what it wanted for years. I have some seedlings so we'll hope to get a good clump of them going eventually.

Have a great day everyone!

I cut the grass at the bottom of our property, by the mailbox and also pulled all the super tall "grass" out of the ditch. It was so tall that you had a hard time seeing if any traffic was coming before you pulled out onto the road. I also picked a bunch of Queen Anne's Lace flower heads and a bunch of orange ditch lilies. Apparently you can make jelly out of both of these. My friend picked a bunch of mimosa flowers from her neighbors tree so she is going to make jelly from them and then we will trade.
My potato plants are still green and growing. Hopefully that means I will get a bunch of potatoes when it's time!

Who knew @karenerwin?!! Let us know how it is!

Sorry @NewBoots - I only water bath can, so everything is pickled!

We had something move in under the shed! I think it's a skunk. DH thinks we should catch it in the have a heart trap - but then what? He won't dispatch, he wants to relocate. A skunk?? LOL. I smelled one right outside the window last night, but it can't get in the chicken run. But a racoon could climb the 6 foot fence & then chew thru the bird netting...so I guess we need to trap whatever it is. & one girl keeps sleeping outside, I just removed the last roost today so hopefully she goes in. I can't stay up later than the chickens to check, it's pathetic. :lau But I know who it is, I caught her one night. I don't blame her, it's hot in there & the littles are annoying. :gig
IMG_20200708_104502452.jpg

I cut the grass at the bottom of our property, by the mailbox and also pulled all the super tall "grass" out of the ditch. It was so tall that you had a hard time seeing if any traffic was coming before you pulled out onto the road. I also picked a bunch of Queen Anne's Lace flower heads and a bunch of orange ditch lilies. Apparently you can make jelly out of both of these. My friend picked a bunch of mimosa flowers from her neighbors tree so she is going to make jelly from them and then we will trade.
My potato plants are still green and growing. Hopefully that means I will get a bunch of potatoes when it's time!
Just be VERY VERY VERY careful that you actually have Queen Annes Lace and not hemlock!

Did you know that if you use too many water saving crystals in potting soil the plant will pop out of the pot like a squeezed watermelon seed? I mean not exactly but it did pop up partly out of the pot and it was ready to up-pot anyway so I did. Tied up more of the tomatoes and pinched out some suckers. I harvested the garlic and shallots, the tops on the shallots had gotten soft and the stems were lying flat on the ground so I think they are ready. No rain here so I left them lying on top of the soil.
Shallot 2.jpg

Shallot 3.jpg

I put the garlic in the garage to cure.
Garlic.jpg

Hope this all works!

Back
Top Bottom