What did you do in the garden today?

Took photos.. just appreciated the beauty of God's creation!

Attachments

• 20200707_112716.jpg
    20200707_112716.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200707_112609.jpg
    20200707_112609.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200707_112518.jpg
    20200707_112518.jpg
    582 KB · Views: 5
Just be VERY VERY VERY careful that you actually have Queen Annes Lace and not hemlock!
Wow! Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea!! :eek: I am sure that some (if not all) of it is true Queen Anne's Lace, but I am trying to find out if they can both grow together in the same patch (ditch). If they can, then I will throw out this "tea" ( I hadn't made it into jelly yet, just boiled water and steeped the flowers). The jelly part was going to be done tomorrow.
But now I am definitely second guessing that plan. I would much rather not try it than to end up accidentally making a poisonous jelly!!
The humorous part is that I checked into the ditch lily aspect a lot to make sure it was safe, but had no idea there is a poisonous look alike for Queen Anne's Lace.

Who knew @karenerwin?!! Let us know how it is!

We had something move in under the shed! I think it's a skunk. DH thinks we should catch it in the have a heart trap - but then what? He won't dispatch, he wants to relocate. A skunk?? LOL. I smelled one right outside the window last night, but it can't get in the chicken run.
View attachment 2233836
When we have caught skunks before in a live trap we found that if you hold a sheet or blanket up in front of you (it has to cover you completely from head to toe!) that we are able to walk right up to the trap and then drop the blanket or sheet over the trap (covering it completely) and then we are able to pick up the trap ( by the handle on top) and take care of the skunk. We have never tried to transport one to another location (other than walking the trap to the trash can filled with water). My hubby did shoot one once. It didn't spray but he left it out on the driveway near the house because he wanted to make sure it was dead before he moved it, anyway, the "spray" leaked out while it lay there (even though it was dead) and it really stank up the place. After that we went with drowning them. I am not a fan of drowning and we only use it for skunks.

Wow! Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea!! :eek: I am sure that some (if not all) of it is true Queen Anne's Lace, but I am trying to find out if they can both grow together in the same patch (ditch). If they can, then I will throw out this "tea" ( I hadn't made it into jelly yet, just boiled water and steeped the flowers). The jelly part was going to be done tomorrow.
But now I am definitely second guessing that plan. I would much rather not try it than to end up accidentally making a poisonous jelly!!
The humorous part is that I checked into the ditch lily aspect a lot to make sure it was safe, but had no idea there is a poisonous look alike for Queen Anne's Lace.
Hemlock will be taller than you and probably the stalk will be thumb sized .

When we have caught skunks before in a live trap we found that if you hold a sheet or blanket up in front of you (it has to cover you completely from head to toe!) that we are able to walk right up to the trap and then drop the blanket or sheet over the trap (covering it completely) and then we are able to pick up the trap ( by the handle on top) and take care of the skunk. We have never tried to transport one to another location (other than walking the trap to the trash can filled with water). My hubby did shoot one once. It didn't spray but he left it out on the driveway near the house because he wanted to make sure it was dead before he moved it, anyway, the "spray" leaked out while it lay there (even though it was dead) and it really stank up the place. After that we went with drowning them. I am not a fan of drowning and we only use it for skunks.
Thank you! Very helpful! He put a 2x4 over the hole to see if it would come back, no sign last night. Buuut it probably just went in another way, no digging needed on the other side of the shed. I can't get the camera to connect to wifi there, the signal is just too weak. I think this weekend we will set the trap & see if we get anything.

Good morning gardeners. We got a nice thunder storm yesterday evening. Mostly thunder, no gale force winds and a nice rain that lasted about 2 hours. Then woke up to the sound of a screaming wild animal, perhaps a fisher but sure sounded more like a mountain lion. That and a small barking dog. Anyway, I checked on the chickens and they were fine so I went back to sleep. There was no sign of any carnage on my lawn or garden so I guess it just moved on. I picked a lot more of the sugar snap peas this morning and a few of the green beans. I have 3 more tiny zucchini developing and 2 yellow squash. My Hungarian peppers are now almost 5 inches long so I am looking forward to picking and eating them in the next few days. The tiny cucumbers look like they will actually develop. Yay! Don't you just love it when your garden is finally producing and you get that awesome feeling of accomplishment, like, wow, I really did this! The temperature today is supposed to get up to 92F and excessively humid. Ugh! My only plans are to get my car inspected finally. They granted an extension in Massachusetts because of the pandemic but my extension runs out at the end of this month. I'm still working on pictures and will post when I have a little more time. It would be helpful for you to add your location to your profile @alfie10. I can't imagine filling my bird feeders at this time of year. It is a big attraction for the local bears. Same reason I won't set up a bee hive. My neighbors blueberry bushes are stressful enough. Have a great day everyone.

Back
Top Bottom