What did you do in the garden today?

Thanks for the input and info. I would feel safe in a tent or hammock, but that doesn't really answer the question. We don't have many large predators like bears in the immediate area (knocking again). I wouldn't put chicken wire anywhere close to where they would roost, but do wonder if I could wrap the small run with it. I have hardware cloth around their " playpen" but that seems like overkill with the chainlink for the run. I know that in general, chicken wire is only to keep chickens in or out of certain areas, but with the chainlink it seems like bigger predators couldn't break in. Might be wishful thinking though....
Go with the hardware cloth. It will keep most snakes out. You don’t really know what predators you have until the aroma of meaty chickens is in the air.

Go with the hardware cloth. It will keep most snakes out. You don’t really know what predators you have until the aroma of meaty chickens is in the air.
That’s probably the advice I would give myself LOL. Sometimes we get cheap and overconfident.... However, the only ones I have lost in the past few years have been a snowy white and snatched while free ranging before dusk. These will be farther from the house, so I should probably be more careful.
Picture of tomatoes to fit garden theme 😜
18114635-7BB3-4944-975E-94B01E7FF1B1.jpeg

Morning all. Finally the weekend (I don't work Fridays)!

Nice pics @karenerwin, thanks for sharing. Those caterpillars were neat looking, I wonder what they were. My chickens would be scared of them. :he

I turned the fan on in the coop & they all wanted to sleep outside last night cuz it's so scary...every time. :barnie I was annoyed & stuffed em all in the pop door, they froze right there & I just kept piling them on top of each other, LOL.

I have figs!!
View attachment 2236388

My parent stopped over yesterday to grab some yellow squash. I still have so much, gonna try a casserole with it tonight I think.

I'm heading out now to dig up a garlic & see how it's doing. We have a tropical storm coming apparently (gosh I haven't watched the news in days!), flash flood warnings are out. I think it's all a bit of hype so I watered the garden a little this am. :gigI don't think we're gonna get nearly what they say so that's my way to guarantee we get a deluge. Ha! The cukes couldn't wait another day for water.

Have a great day all!
The caterpillars are tomato hornworms. 🤣

Thanks for the input and info. I would feel safe in a tent or hammock, but that doesn't really answer the question. We don't have many large predators like bears in the immediate area (knocking again). I wouldn't put chicken wire anywhere close to where they would roost, but do wonder if I could wrap the small run with it. I have hardware cloth around their " playpen" but that seems like overkill with the chainlink for the run. I know that in general, chicken wire is only to keep chickens in or out of certain areas, but with the chainlink it seems like bigger predators couldn't break in. Might be wishful thinking though....
Definitely go with hardware cloth!!! I have lost many chickens and even a couple of turkeys to raccoons reaching through other wire. They literally pull them out piece by piece. 😡🤢
Raccoons can climb so they have even snatched them off of the roost. However most of them were gotten when they decided NOT to sleep on the roost and instead cozied up by the wire to sleep. Sometimes after having gotten down from the roost!

2EBBE33E-B658-491F-8FC9-D66BFF5672EC.jpeg

Part of today’s harvest. I can’t believe that giant zucchini was able to hide from me!!🤣
47A84B89-8C93-48B1-B7B6-4C0023B9C26F.jpeg
A coworker wanted some green tomatoes so she could make fried green tomatoes.
E367C87F-B13B-4233-BD0B-AF9A4C544ED3.jpeg
This jar/ glass is now filled and overflowing with blackberries. I also have a quart bag with the combined days harvests of strawberries. They are both in the freezer now. I plan to combine them to make a berry jelly. Won’t get enough of either to do just 1 flavor.
The tomatillo plant I showed you guys the other day fell over today. Tomato cage and all! 😳 I had to figure out a new way to support it. I probably could have filled that red bowl with tomatillos!!
I also found a wild tomatillo plant at the edge of our woods yesterday 😳
Complete with small tomatillos. Not sure how it got there. I don’t think previous owners even had a garden and I have never grown them before!

morning all, i am so envious of your gardens mine used to be like that but i stopped growing veg and let the arthritis take over now i am determined to beat it into submission ,i know how much i can do and when to stop and rest .blue skies and sunshine today in my part of england going to be nice next few days so in a few mins i will be outside ,got to build a rockery which i want done so i can get on with other things .still can,t think where to put chickens if i get them ,i miss having them around .

Back
Top Bottom