What did you do in the garden today?

Got the wax beans all pulled and ran the Honda mini tiller through the area , got 2 rows of green beans in and then had to run for the house , thunder storm here now .

View attachment 2241502
I am envious that dirt looks like it can hold some water. What I have is nothing like your light and fluffy loam.

So sorry to hear about your losses. Was it heat or were there other factors involved like mites or other parasites? Were their combs looking healthy prior to closing them in?
Thank you. Pretty sure it was heat related, everyone has had slightly pale combs and they're panting. We've had afternoon highs of 116* for 2 days in a row with overnight lows in the mid to high 90s. I've given them pools to wade in and add ice in the late afternoon. Cucumbers as a snack, electrolytes, fermented feed. No mites or lice and I just sprayed my coops with permethrin the other day to make sure we don't get any.

Thank you. Pretty sure it was heat related, everyone has had slightly pale combs and they're panting. We've had afternoon highs of 116* for 2 days in a row with overnight lows in the mid to high 90s. I've given them pools to wade in and add ice in the late afternoon. Cucumbers as a snack, electrolytes, fermented feed. No mites or lice and I just sprayed my coops with permethrin the other day to make sure we don't get any.
I treat mine to frozen peas in the summer too. I figure a cold crop must feel good. LOL.

I'm an instructor, competitor, and range officer, and I wish more people would take classes and PRACTICE, but what can you do?
I do love the smell of Hoppes #9 I can't believe they never made it into a cologne. I am not a gun nut but I have childhood memories. You are right I need to get out with my little 22 and figure out it's sights. Before I do that though it needs a good cleaning. It was given to me as a broken weapon, however, the person who passed it to me simply didn't understand the archaic bolt system. I had one of a similar design as a child. It is an old Sears 101.13 from 1943 like I said decent enough for raccoon.

Last edited:
I do love the smell of Hoppes #9 I can't believe they never made it into a cologne. I am not a gun nut but I have childhood memories. You are right I need to get out with my little 22 and figure out it's sights. Before I do that though it needs a good cleaning. It was given to me as a broken weapon, however, the person who passed it to me simply didn't understand the archaic bolt system. I had one of a similar design as a child. It is an old Sears 101.13 from 1943 like I said decent enough for raccoon.
My 1930s Monkey Ward reliable hangs above the door. She won me a State Gold a few years ago.

My 1930s Monkey Ward reliable hangs above the door. She won me a State Gold a few years ago.
Is she a .45/70 lever action? I really would love to have one someday. And yeah it would be a door hanger. Not like it would serve any other purpose around here. Well outside of male vanity. Who knows we might get another round of gumment checks so I won't need to explain my excesses to my wife.

Last edited:
Good afternoon everyone. I watered the gardens and filled the chicken waterers ( kiddie pools) this morning. I slept late ( got up about 10:30). I tend to do that on Mondays. I guess trying to catch up from working the 3 days before and having to get up so early. plus the heat and humidity have been bad, so that doesn't help.
Wednesday we will hit the upper 90's (98 before heat index) and stay there the next 5 days. July and August are our brutal months!
I picked a couple of cucumbers and another zucchini. I should have several ripe tomatoes in a couple of days!
As far as covid is concerned, I keep a mask in my car at all times as well as hand sanitizer. I do my best to remember to wear the mask whenever I go in anywhere ( forgot once) and to use the sanitizer when I get back to my car. My hubby thinks we should all wear masks in public but then he forgets his 90% of the time. If I am with him I remind him. He is in the high risk category and should definitely be wearing one!
I'm going to donate blood today and a mask is mandatory.
Our local fruit and veggie stand is closed now (temporarily) due to a covid outbreak there over the 4th of July. It didn't surprise me lately the place has been packed and few people were wearing masks.
I saved chunks of pumpkin in the freezer to give to the chickens when it is hot out.

@Sueby I tell my daughter all the time she is my favorite child! :lau She has caused me very little trouble in her lifetime (compared to her 2 older brothers that got involved with drugs during high school). ( 1 is recovered after having died from an overdose and having permanent short term memory loss from it. He is now married and doing very well. The oldest of my kids would love for everyone to think he is clean and doing well, but we know better. He currently has charges pending that will probably put him back in prison for another 5 years or so. It's really a shame, he had so much potential when he was younger. Everyone thought he was going to do something very productive with his life.)
And yes, my daughter does get me!!

Last edited:
Maybe I wasn't clear but my next door neighbor is laid up in the hospital. I hope he is fine his wife told us he isn't in the ICU but still I am worried about him tonight. You darn west coasters and your responsible politicians. I'll just shake my fist at you
Oh we have plenty stupid around here too, and how wearing a mask to keep other people safe became political is beyond me but not so for most of my neighbors. I hope your friend and neighbor recovers quickly.
Herding chickens is, well, like herding chickens.
That was the best story! I read it out loud to my DP and we both laughed. :)
Something killed a cuke plant. I haven't seen anything die that way, just wilted & gone. Think it's like a vine borer or something??
Ack, something hiding in the ground?
Got the wax beans all pulled and ran the Honda mini tiller through the area , got 2 rows of green beans in and then had to run for the house , thunder storm here now .
Only gardeners would feel the love for your beautiful soil that we all do!
That's some gorgeous soil!
Hehe, see?
PS, 6 feet was good before Covid and I think a mask should be mandatory so I agree with you.
Masks are mandatory here in Oregon now and some folks are still squawking about it. They can squawk about their wounded liberty from behind their masks. I find wearing pants to be infringing on my liberty too but you don't see me refusing to wear them. :bun
We wear masks and gloves, masks always now. Here in our county we have some top cop said don't be a sheep don't wear a mask... bull pucky we are both old I have had pneumonia 5 times ..
I hear you, we aren't kids either and DP has had bronchitis more than once. Just not taking chances.
Thank you. Pretty sure it was heat related, everyone has had slightly pale combs and they're panting. We've had afternoon highs of 116* for 2 days in a row with overnight lows in the mid to high 90s.
So sorry for your loss, those temperatures sound nearly impossible to deal with.

Good Afternoon Gardeners, highs 60s to low 70s here and the overcast has burned off. Watering is done and and critters are seen to. The pullets are just starting to get back to normal and I'm glad. DP thinks they blame me for the vanishing of the cockerels but I just think they are just slowly getting over the change in their world. I think I'm going to try and thread the last 25' soaker hose through the raised bed with the most tomatoes in it, it's hard to get enough water to them using the hose without blasting with too much force. I'll get DP to help. Stay as cool as possible everyone and keep those awesome pictures coming!

Back
Top Bottom