What did you do in the garden today?

The littles have NO idea WHAT to do with it, but they're fighting over who gets to run around with it in their beak. OH OH OH....
I so love those chases, even better when no one has a clue if what they have is good to eat or not. I've used that to introduce new foods, if someone else wants it, then it must be tasty!
Purply pink borage. Weird. To be honest, I prefer the blue. Plenty of those...why do they go mutant like this? Anyone know? Not many of them, but enough to notice. Some are pure pink!
I like the white the best myself. Ours have grown so huge I'm going to start making compost tea out of it. It's crowding the tomatoes and blueberries. No idea why you are getting purple ones. I've noticed that some of our blue flowers do turn purple just before falling from the plant.

Had to partially disassemble one of the rabbit hutches. The guy who built them left solid wood instead of wire in the bottom of the nest box area and the darned thing was getting sodden with urine. Bunnies pee a lot. So it was a two day project (mostly cuz it was a frustrating task and I had to decide what to do to make it right) to take it apart, remove the bottom, and replace sections with wire. Not quite finished yet, got to pick up some washers so we can screw in the new cage wire sections. But the job required me to jam my shoulders into a very small area (that smelled like pee), find and remove countersunk screws, pry loose swollen wood sections, and then get it all reassembled correctly using cage wire rather than so much wood. Ibuprofen, take me away!

@karenerwin, that jelly looks so beautiful. I'll bet it's delicious and so unique. I'm not much help with cucumbers, sorry. They look like my squash plants at the end of the season. Not sure what that means.

@TropicalBabies, lovely pictures as always. Sorry you had to give up birds that you 44really didn't want to. That must have been hard. I hope the ride helped.

Picked Cucumber and a yellow squash and watered wilting peppers. I noticed that my Carolina Reaper pepper plant suddenly starts fruiting if another pepper plant gets top heavy and leans over it. I am guessing the male and female flowers on the Carolina Reaper do not coordinate their timing well. I should save the seeds and see what type of Hybrid Cayenne peppers and Carolina Reapers make. I noticed that my Thai Hot Peppers finally started flowering. Garden Shop guy said that they will not flower until it gets very hot and the flowering started 2 days after the heat rolled in. I also cleaned out coops and made a giant pile of next years Garden Soil because I like to grow in 100% compost.

We wear masks and gloves, masks always now. Here in our county we have some top cop said don't be a sheep don't wear a mask... bull pucky we are both old I have had pneumonia 5 times .. Our Governor had done a good job on covid he has excelled
I love our Governor for many reasons, but especially how he has handled covid.

We haven't done much lately - we lost our little dog on Friday (I wrote about that in the Covid thread) so we've just been moping around. We took some days off work so we could be sad in peace, and not put pressure on ourselves to get things done.

Today we grocery shopped - Mr. Dog doesn't take the covid threat as seriously as I do, but he will mask up to go into stores, since he knows I won't be seen with him unless he wears it. I bought groceries while he was looking for a new motion-sensor light to replace one that had quit working and a new electric switch for the laundry room, but he couldn't find the right kinds. Then we got home and discovered the motion sensor had decided to work again, and he found a brand-new switch in one of his boxes of "stuff"!

I also set up my new row covers over the cabbage seedlings and discovered I have a volunteer tomato plant. Not sure if I should transplant it into the garden, or just leave it where it is and put a cage around it.

I did make an awesome discovery - we've had a small tree growing from the middle of a hedge which we just left there, because it helps block the lights from the parking lot of a business across the river. Today I noticed funny-looking things growing on it, took one inside and googled it - turns out the tree is a hazelnut!

View attachment 2242579
Not sure what this is a sign of? These are my cucumbers. Hopefully not vine borers. Anysuggestions as to how to treat whatever this is?
View attachment 2242585
Finally got around to cooking up the Orange Ditch Lily Jelly.
Tomorrow I’m off to try to find blackberries on public land that I can pick. I’m not getting enough from my couple of plants.
My cukes look a little bit like that before they wilt, but not exactly - not as much brown as yours. I did pull apart some of them & saw no signs of borers. So in other words, I'm no help. LOL. The jelly is beautiful!

@littledog :hugs Losing a dog is the worst. :(

Morning everyone. It was almost a bit cool out there this am, it' was nice! Man I hate summer. Bring on the snow! :wee

Aloha gardeners,
No gardening, only watering, selling rooster and cockerel :hitand cooking today. Made the usual carrot muffins for my sweetie and a bow tie pasta salad because i was feeling a little dinner boring. I'll make a big salad along with the cold pasta salad and a turkey burger tonight. Yum! I have been on my tofu salad kick for breakfast/lunch again. You know it is summer when... and it just tastes so good plus, I needed to be good to myself. I think I am just a little sad about the last few sales, I did not want to part with them. Think I'll go for a quick ride this eve. It's a little warm but that ot to brighten my mood. Plus Hombre is still clean and his tail looks so awesome might as well go get it salty.
To all of my mask wearing compadres- you rock!!! I appreciate your inconveniences, keep up the great work and stay well, me ke aloha!!View attachment 2242553View attachment 2242552View attachment 2242566
I love empty beaches too! I just wish SpaceX wasn't blowing up things on the only road to my little bit of heaven. Glad you had a great outing. :hugsEdit- I should explain better- I never know now when I can get to the beach as I have to drive 20 miles only to find out that that knucklehead built and tested out another bomb. Sure I could go to the crowded beach but that isn't our thing. We like em empty so we can let the dogs run wild and pee in the dunes unless you want to hold it in. Cool thing is nobody will ever see you you just have to tell the CBP officers your an American on the way back home as our beach goes all the way down to the Rio Bravo/Rio Grande. Also that river is surely walkable and I have even kicked a soccer ball back to kids on the other side in my life. The prevailing winds blow them over on occasion. The other side uses their side of the beach much more than we do. Probably because they don't have SpaceX :gig

Last edited:
Good morning gardeners. Thank you for the condolences, I'm feeling less sad and trying to keep the rest of the flock cool. Thanks for sharing pics all, I'm living through you right now :love@TropicalBabies I understand not wanting to let the littles go :hugs Hopefully your ride made you feel better. @karenerwin pretty jelly! I'd have to order some flowers because they definitely won't grow here, can you use dried? All I did this morning was water and watch the rooster run-hop across the yard. He's got bumblefoot and a dressing on his foot right now; doesn't seem any worse for wear because he's crowing and dancing for the girls. The yellow bells are blooming and so is the yellow Mexican bird of paradise; I guess they're both loving the heat even if nothing else does. I have luffa and dandelion seeds arriving today, and the cushions for the barstools at the kitchen counter. Oh and some punch biopsy tools and scalpels to deal with bumblefoot. Dandelions are for the bunnies, luffa is for scrubbies. I think the common name for the white flower things is Mexican poppies; whatever they are, they're darn near indestructible! I ignored the starts for days and then watered and poof! instant green and happy. This morning is about 10* cooler than it was over the weekend. I put a little stand mister in front of the box fan and pointed it toward the door of the coop; the chickens seem to be feeling better today than they have been. Combs are pinker and they have some sass! Only 1 egg yesterday and the shell was thin so it broke. I don't care, as long as the birds make it through the heat I'm happy. K, have a great day everyone!

Good morning gardeners. Thank you for the condolences, I'm feeling less sad and trying to keep the rest of the flock cool. Thanks for sharing pics all, I'm living through you right now :love@TropicalBabies I understand not wanting to let the littles go :hugs Hopefully your ride made you feel better. @karenerwin pretty jelly! I'd have to order some flowers because they definitely won't grow here, can you use dried? All I did this morning was water and watch the rooster run-hop across the yard. He's got bumblefoot and a dressing on his foot right now; doesn't seem any worse for wear because he's crowing and dancing for the girls. The yellow bells are blooming and so is the yellow Mexican bird of paradise; I guess they're both loving the heat even if nothing else does. I have luffa and dandelion seeds arriving today, and the cushions for the barstools at the kitchen counter. Oh and some punch biopsy tools and scalpels to deal with bumblefoot. Dandelions are for the bunnies, luffa is for scrubbies. I think the common name for the white flower things is Mexican poppies; whatever they are, they're darn near indestructible! I ignored the starts for days and then watered and poof! instant green and happy. This morning is about 10* cooler than it was over the weekend. I put a little stand mister in front of the box fan and pointed it toward the door of the coop; the chickens seem to be feeling better today than they have been. Combs are pinker and they have some sass! Only 1 egg yesterday and the shell was thin so it broke. I don't care, as long as the birds make it through the heat I'm happy. K, have a great day everyone!
I know this time of the year is so hard. Keep your chin up chica!:hugs

I know this time of the year is so hard. Keep your chin up chica!:hugs
Thanks Allen. I'm thinking about some modifications to the coop. Another person on my state thread basically has my coop but they built with wire all the way around. I'm thinking about making the sides half walls when we replace the plywood and covering the top half with hwc. Might put in a solar fan to blow the hot air out too. Weather folks are saying this is going to become the new normal in summer :sick

Yeah I knew it was beyond time to add in more HC ventilation when I couldn't stand being inside for coop maintenance at 10AM. It really made me feel like an overweight German tourist on Mallorca(Just for the record that is some ugly imagery that cannot be removed from my brain thanks 2005 you were a real winner!). Your chicken will thank you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom