What did you do in the garden today?

Gosh it is hot! I picked butterbeans. Chickens were checking the garden out. I put a couple of worms that were on my plants right in front of them and they didn't touch it. So much for them being pest control.
So organic gardeners, little caterpillars are chewing up my leaves. I put out DE to see if that would help. I don't want to use pesticide in case any of my chickens decide to eat anything.
What else can I use?
Many people on here use a soap water spray.

Gosh it is hot! I picked butterbeans. Chickens were checking the garden out. I put a couple of worms that were on my plants right in front of them and they didn't touch it. So much for them being pest control.
So organic gardeners, little caterpillars are chewing up my leaves. I put out DE to see if that would help. I don't want to use pesticide in case any of my chickens decide to eat anything.
What else can I use?

You can try either a garlic or pepper spray. Most things that eat the leaves won't like it. I know it works on mites. Lots of difference recipes, but basically simmer about 1tblsp of cayenne powder or crushed garlic (or both) per cup of water. Add about a tsp of dawn per cup and you can also add a drizzle of veg oil. The only problem is you will need to respray anytime it rains or if you water from above.

What else can I use?

Buy Bt spray - listed as a caterpillar killer. The Bt stands for the genus and species name of the bacterium that is bad for the caterpillars to eat, but safe for all non-caterpillars including pets and humans. I believe it is considered an organic approach to the common cabbage moth and tomato hornworm as very common garden pests, but the package lists more pests that are impacted.

Buy Bt spray - listed as a caterpillar killer. The Bt stands for the genus and species name of the bacterium that is bad for the caterpillars to eat, but safe for all non-caterpillars including pets and humans. I believe it is considered an organic approach to the common cabbage moth and tomato hornworm as very common garden pests, but the package lists more pests that are impacted.

This. My broccoli was decimated this year and I tried hand picking the worms but it wasn't enough, or soon enough to do much good. I am a generally organic gardener, but from here on, I will use it on specific plants being attacked by cabbage loopers next time I see them damaging the plants. Going to order some from Amazon right now as a matter of fact.

Good morning gardeners, watered the deck, moved the rabbit tractor, saw to the chickens, cleaned the rabbit hutches (rabbit poop fertilizer for the win), pulled weeds and grass and gave it to the rabbits and chickens, AND picked my first cherry tomatoes! Wooohooo! Getting hot so the mowing will have to wait. I might wait till it cools off a bit then weed eat this afternoon and mow tomorrow. Does anyone else kind of see weed-eating then mowing like dusting then vacuuming?

Moved the baby snapdragons to open places in the raised beds late yesterday and picked a small bouquet for the counter.
Bouquet.jpg

Take care all and stay cool and dry or wet as needed. :D

Do you have a recipe?
Oh yes I do
Ratatouille
1tbs. Butter
1tsp. Olive oil
1 small tomato
1 small yellow squash
1 small onion
1 small zucchini
1tsp basil (5-6 fresh leaves)
1/2c dry red wine
1/2tsp garlic
1/2c parm. or Romano cheese
Salt and pepper (to taste)
Chop tomato squash onions and zucchini coarsely melt butter add oil add other ingredients cover Pan and cook on low heat for 20 minutes arrange veggies over rice top with cheese and enjoy

Good morning gardeners. Managed to get the slippery slope mowed yesterday morning. Then as I was stepping out the door after lunch to do the weed whacking in the garden, the sky opened up. Surprise downpour that lasted for about 2 hours. The remnants of TS Isaia are supposed to move in tomorrow, so I may just wait until after that passes through before anymore attempts at mowing and weed whacking. This morning I found some more bush beans, 2 large zucchini, an okra pod and a nice cucumber that the chipmunks decided wasn't tasty enough for their refined palates. I re-routed some of the butternut squash and pole bean vines. I remember someone here suggested putting poles atop the bean towers for the vines to cling to. Not necessary. They reach out and grab whatever is near them. I did do that last year, but it really didn't make a difference. As for companion planting, like @Acre4Me, I rely heavily on the Old Farmer's Almanac. I've grown peas in the same bed as tomatoes with no problems. Peas, like beans add nitrogen to the soil. Since tomatoes are heavy nitrogen feeders, it makes sense to plant them together. I've noticed myself @Compost King that slow cooking tones down the heat in peppers quite a bit. I made carnitas in my small crockpot yesterday and tossed in two sliced jalapenos, seeds and all and I didn't notice any heat. Zucchini soup @Sueby: I've made cucumber soup so I can't imagine why not zucchini soup. I've even made lettuce soup in years when I had so much lettuce I didn't know what to do with it. Sometimes my best friend in the kitchen is my handy dandy immersion blender. Thank you all for the lovely pictures. Especially the beach shot @TropicalBabies and the fresh produce @karenerwin. Have a great day everyone.
Oh don't forget to load up on mosquito spray. Lesson learned here that stuff needs to be in my hurricane kit. I tried Walmart and another store but it is all sold out around here.

Back
Top Bottom