What did you do in the garden today?

I harvested some large okra, which'll probably go in a gumbo.
My radishes are going to seed, and I just noticed some seed pods forming. Not too long until they're dry.
My cucumber plant is dying. It's lived a long, productive life.
I'm also trying to figure out what to do with all of these Roma tomatoes. Eugh. Some cherry tomatoes are ripening, and the beans are thriving.
I'm trying to strategize the harvesting of a baseball bat-sized zucchini (it's behind a huge garden spider, and I'm a bit freaked out by it).
Does anyone know what to do with an excess of Roma tomatoes? I can't can them, mind you.
I have heard that if you smoke (and then dehydrate if needed) the romas, they taste like bacon. An experiment that we will try this year!

yesterday I did nothing in the garden, I didn't even water. One of those busy days that involved driving to get chicks after sleeping in because I am working nightshift on the homestead (processing meat birds at night). Its the first day since april I have done nothing in the garden. I did very little with the animals too, just made sure they had water, checked a few feeders but all of them were loaded up enough for me to ignore that. Well i did feed the cat but thats a pet not one of the animals.

Morning everyone!

@Acre4Me the pics came out great & they are all so darn cute!

Back to work today, I think. I haven't heard if campus has power back or not yet, I'd love another day off, I have some baking to do. :gig

I'm going to make some crushed tomatoes too, I have enough tomatoes to make a batch for another 2 squash lasagnas. I'm going to put them together & freeze them, hopefully that works. I refuse to waste a single squash, lol.

Have a great day all.

Harvested some tomatoes this morning, and some cucumbers. already fermented the cucumbers, the Tomatoes are sitting in the window to fully ripen them. I also harvested some Cayenne Peppers, some for seed saving but others were fermented whole with the tops cut off. Not sure what I will do with them, probably make a hot sauce. I have never had so many Cayenne Peppers that I had enough to make a sauce.

afternoon, it didn,t rain yesterday so i carried on and prepped the rest of the chicken area. even got the pampas grass out ! been checking and cleaning all the chicken fencing i,ve had stored most of it not too bad.ordering the coop at the weekend should have it 2/3 wks .after that arrives I,ll have to order chickens ,want point of lay ,lots of rules in place for collecting them now but they are doing a good deal on all supplies needed if you buy 3 chickens and thats all i have room for at the moment but I know all about chicken math !Next year who knows ? going outside again but it,s so hot might not stay long .

afternoon, it didn,t rain yesterday so i carried on and prepped the rest of the chicken area. even got the pampas grass out ! been checking and cleaning all the chicken fencing i,ve had stored most of it not too bad.ordering the coop at the weekend should have it 2/3 wks .after that arrives I,ll have to order chickens ,want point of lay ,lots of rules in place for collecting them now but they are doing a good deal on all supplies needed if you buy 3 chickens and thats all i have room for at the moment but I know all about chicken math !Next year who knows ? going outside again but it,s so hot might not stay long .

where, in general, are you located? Us gardeners want to know!

Good morning gardeners. Day 2 of I think it's our 4th heat wave of the summer. I picked 3 yellow squash, 2 cukes, a hungarian pepper and some parsely for the tabbouleh I'm making for dinner. I canned 5 pints of Bread & Butter pickles yesterday. I would like to make one more batch to have enough pickles to last a year. I think the zucchini is done. I don't see any new zukes developing. Hopefully the yellow squash will be done soon so I can put kale in that bed. There are blooms and small beans developing on my pole beans. The bush beans did well, but this variety of pole (green) beans is really tasty. Can't wait. Okay, @Acre4Me the chick pix are too cute, but the Columbian Wyandottes are hands down the cutest. That is quite a haul of potatoes @Franklinridgefarms. I see a lot of french fries in your future. LOL! Have a great day everyone and stay cool.

Back
Top Bottom