What did you do in the garden today?

WthrLady

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jul 24, 2014
WestOak, Nebraska
Wow what kind of tomatoes did you use? I processed 30 pounds of tomatoes into sauce and got 9 quarts. Then after that four didn’t seal 😭 oh the love and heartache that is gardening.
SanMarzano, Beefs, Celebrity My steak tomatoes are almost all meat, no guts, and so are SanMarz.

It'll simmer down into half of what I got from the puree, and I'll add spices, sugar, and such, and then process into full blown ready to eat sauce. YUM. So from todays 11 qt simmer, I might get 3 qts for the canner.

After pressure canning, hardly anything doesn't seal. LOL. Jars explode in the canner first.
======

yup 3 solid quarts into the canner and another half pint in the fridge for cheese stick dipping.

Last edited:

humblehillsfarm

Songster
Mar 27, 2020
Southwestern Pennsylvania
SanMarzano, Beefs, Celebrity My steak tomatoes are almost all meat, no guts, and so are SanMarz.

It'll simmer down into half of what I got from the puree, and I'll add spices, sugar, and such, and then process into full blown ready to eat sauce. YUM.

After pressure canning, hardly anything doesn't seal. LOL. Jars explode in the canner first.
I did pressure can them but I attempted it on a propane stove outside and temps fluctuated causing pressure fluctuations. I believe this is why so many seals failed. This year I did a lot of Roma tomatoes but am most happy with the few beef steaks that I have. Unfortunately out of 22 plants only five are beefsteaks, eight are a pole tomato that I’ve not loved, and then the remaining are the Roma. Unfortunately the Roma is apparently prone to blossom end rot so I’ve lost half my harvest to that and I have an enormous stink bug infestation on top of that. It’s been a bad year :(

alfie10

Chirping
Apr 1, 2020
acre4me I am in England .Just watching the news, libraries are opening properly ,i have missed ours i love reading missed going to mine .just watered the garden , thunder storms forecast this week .got a few runner beans today loads more coming on ,more tomatoes coming but not ripe yet ,prepared one veg bed for next year ,going to have a lot more veg next year .slugs ate my basil and sage i planted near tomatoes ,I,ll put them in pots next time.

Sueby

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 23, 2019
CT
In the process of washing and bagging tomatoes for the freezer. Don’t have time to cook them right now, but someone else mentioned freezing them, then using food mill to remove skins after thawing, then cook into sauce. I figured better try that instead of letting them rot on the vine or ground. I can’t leave them in the freezer too long though, my order of 1/4 cow will be ready in about 2-3 weeks, so need to make some freezer space anyway.

I definitely over planted the tomato bed. Will reduce by 1/3 at least. We are ruling out some varieties too, but found others we really like.
I always (most always, anyway) freeze my paste tomatoes as I don't get enough at a time to bother processing. I wash them & then freeze. When I thaw them I snip the vine end with scissors & the skins slip right off. & because they are san marzanos I don't even bother putting them through the mill or anything, they hardly have any seeds. In the pot they go just like that to cook & then water bath can.

TropicalBabies

Crowing
Jun 12, 2018
Hawaii
I've never purposely given my chickens meat though I've seen them eat plenty of frogs. DH insists feeding them chicken will result in zombie chickens. :lau But now I'm for sure going to give them the next steak bone!
I love giving my chickens meat, bone meat whatever.... kinda like cooked gecko's and fantastic entertainment. Another big bonus is a less stinky rubbish can. I will sit in my chair and get mobbed by dog, cat and chickens... chickens being the most aggressive for sure.

May 9, 2020
Clark County, KY
I did pressure can them but I attempted it on a propane stove outside and temps fluctuated causing pressure fluctuations. I believe this is why so many seals failed. This year I did a lot of Roma tomatoes but am most happy with the few beef steaks that I have. Unfortunately out of 22 plants only five are beefsteaks, eight are a pole tomato that I’ve not loved, and then the remaining are the Roma. Unfortunately the Roma is apparently prone to blossom end rot so I’ve lost half my harvest to that and I have an enormous stink bug infestation on top of that. It’s been a bad year :(
Blossom end rot got almost all of our tomatoes except for a few yellow pear tomatoes.

TropicalBabies

Crowing
Jun 12, 2018
Hawaii
Pics were requested.
All chicks remain alive! Ordered all males. Of course sexing errors happen, so maybe there is a female in there somewhere. I currently suspect one of the Silver Spangled Hamburgs is a female...time will tell.

Cute and chatty! Like little human boys, they love to run! They will run the entire length of the brooder, stop and mill about and then all of a sudden 5-6-7 of them are racing back the other direction, the entire length of the brooder! :jumpy They run like this more than any other batch of chicks we have had!

Buttercups have that interesting comb. And it is hard to take a pic of it right now, but there are two rows of straight comb coming out horizontally from the middle flat comb. One chick has a wider flat comb on its head than the other, so the points on each side are farther apart. Will be interesting to see how they grow out.
View attachment 2284017

We had a male one about 2 years ago - attractive, but slim and flighty. I suspect the darker one might be female based on size and stance and comb is currently smaller/ less wide than the taller/more erect one.
View attachment 2284018

One of these was a bit of a meanie in the small brooder.....time will tell if he's the first in the stew pot.
View attachment 2284019

Large and fluffy:
View attachment 2284020 View attachment 2284021

Looking forward to seeing the pattern on the Speckled Sussex.
View attachment 2284022 View attachment 2284023

Thoughts on breed? cute and the fluffiest of the bunch...also fairly large.
View attachment 2284024
Oh my goodness!!! I'm dying of cuteness. Fantastic job on the pro chick photography. Love them all but I am always a little weak in the knees for Brahma's... even/especially the one squatting like a girl :love You MUST post update photos for us... yes buddy ol pal?!!

igorsMistress

Crossing the road barefoot.
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Apr 9, 2013
My Coop
Good afternoon gardeners. Watered this morning after I let the chickens out. Everything needed it! One of my hens doesn't like the rooster. He's resorted to chasing her off the roost and away from food. The problem has been progressive so if he doesn't stop, the rooster goes. The hen has been here longer and I'm sure I'll have more boys to sort thru when the chicks grow up. Heat warnings all week :rant I'm over Summer.

karenerwin

Free Ranging
7 Years
Jun 11, 2013
Cedar Hill, Missouri
The stink bugs have hit my cucumbers and tomatoes really hard this year too. 😞
Last year my Roma’s didn’t do well but this year they are coming in great!

Top Bottom