What did you do in the garden today?

WthrLady

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jul 24, 2014
WestOak, Nebraska
Yes, over tightening the band will do it too. I forgot about that one, thank you. That's usually a problem with those very new to canning.

A whole bunch of tomatoes out there that should be ready to pick tomorrow. Storms are coming through tonight, so I may pick them tonight and let them ripen in the heat of the barn.

I have 4 qts of puree from yesterday left over, so I think I'll make up some tomato soup and get that sealed up.

All that's left in the garden is Mustard, and tomatoes, so from here on out, it's all tomato talk.

AllenK RGV

Chicken Addict
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2017
Deep South Texas Laureles,TX 10A
Wow so I played tug this morning with the 70 pound Malinois. He is either getting stronger or I am getting weaker. I also have a bleeding digit. Heaven help anyone who comes on to this property with bad intentions. That is one scary dog with severe separation anxiety issues regarding wife and I. Not to mention he could easily jump over our 6 ft tall fence. When he gets excited he jumps straight up and licks your face. He sleeps on our door at night not in front of it. I am just happy he is no longer chained out 24x7 as the neighbors found him to be unmanageable he is easily managed you just have to tell him what he is doing wrong. Best $100- I have ever spent.

Last edited:

AllenK RGV

Chicken Addict
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2017
Deep South Texas Laureles,TX 10A
Please don't misunderstand me this dog is a real sweetheart and loves people. We have no issues with him on our property and inviting others on to it to do landscaping or other work. Just if a bad actor showed up he would be an intractable ass of a dog to the point we would need to call an ambulance. We love him regardless. I just wish the vet would have taken the empty sack when she took his testes for us.

penny1960

Yippity do Da Yippity ay
Premium Feather Member
Dec 29, 2015
Mossyrock, WA
They are are all the same dog Dr. Ruel like 1933 found these two black dogs of their breeding short.. and long coats came in as get went to homes in other counties color crept in there are varieties like cockers strip the coat they have the same bodies america bred more to temperment more Tervuren here
they are named for those counties all are belgian sheepdog Chien de belge de berge

Acre4Me

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
Some garden pics!

All of a sudden, nearly ripe melons!

There are 2 kinds here - the center one is the different variety - the one on Left and one on right are the same kind.
Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 5.17.40 PM.png

More nearly ripe melons! These are "Athena" musk melon
Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 5.18.40 PM.png

Watermelon: Is it ripe?? How to Tell when to Pick? I don't think it is ready bc the stem looks very green and healthy!
Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 5.17.55 PM.png

same melon - what the bottom looks like:
Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 5.18.08 PM.png

Birdhouse gourd babies!
Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 5.18.52 PM.png

Compost King

Free Ranging
Apr 19, 2018
Salisbury, North Carolina
I took the day off from the garden. We had enough rain yesterday so I do not need to water. My harvests are winding down although I could always pick peppers since I have so many growing but I can always skip a day. Alls I did today was make sure animals have water and their feeders were all topped off last night. I am about to dump off food to the rationed fed Meat birds... needed a day off because those long hours for 2 or 3 months takes its toll. We are about to go in a period where the days get shorter rapidly and the nights get longer and I will be back to getting enough sleep every night soon.

igorsMistress

Crossing the road barefoot.
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Apr 9, 2013
My Coop
Good afternoon gardeners. We (Phoenix) have broken a record from 2011 for most number of days over 110* in a year. 34 and counting as of Sunday, so today makes day 36. The extended forecast has us at 110+ for the next 2 weeks; this has me seriously reconsidering keeping chickens. I really like having the litter for my compost piles but I dunno. Anyway, all I do is water right now, you know that. So far nothing else has died so that's a plus. Have a good evening guys and gals.

PS I know this technically isn't garden related, but I got my new sprouter lids today so that's my good news. My last sprouter was in constant use but it disappeared after I put it in the dishwasher. The oldest GS puts dishes away and may have put it with stuff that went to Goodwill.
20200811_155405.jpg

Last edited:

Top Bottom