What did you do in the garden today?

The stink bugs have hit my cucumbers and tomatoes really hard this year too. 😞
Last year my Roma’s didn’t do well but this year they are coming in great!
You’ve given me hope next year will be better! My computers haven’t fared well this year either. I got for cucs and the plant quit on me. :( ugh. I blame the heat! Still, I’ve gotten some good harvests.

I watered my garden, then it rained lol. Picked on Cucumber and about a dozen Cayenne Peppers for see collecting. I probably have 250 seeds and it dawned on me, I have too many coming in with just 9 plants what would I do if I planted 250 of them? I will be sending seeds off to friends who do not mind Cayenne Peppers seeds having a few Hybrids in there to go with them. Most of them grew near Jalapeños and some grew near Carolina Reapers and Ghost Peppers.

& @igorsMistress I am with you, so over this summer for sure. I did see a tree off the road turning colors so that was my little light at the end of the tunnel.

@humblehillsfarm & @WthrLady I was just reading an NPR interview that said one other reason jars fail to seal is that the bands are on too tight & don't allow the jars to vent, therefore they don't seal. :confused:

Morning all! Another disgustingly hot day. My poor chickens are feeling it, I wish there was something I could do to help them, I feel guilty sitting inside in the AC. I can't blame the little slackers for not giving me many eggs I guess. DH & I are trying to find a cooler place to retire, we hate this heat.

Ok, off to water the garden & check on the chickens. Have a great day all!

Conversely to some of you, we are having mild August weather! Strange really. Usually it is drier during late July through September. But, its been more humid and rainy than usual. And the temps - 84F is the hottest temp for the next 10 days! in the 70's next week (with lows in the 50s)! Some possible storms during this time too!

Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 11.20.26 AM.png

Haven't checked the garden yet. But, off to see how things are looking! I need to weed the newer bed of beans and beets. Might need to re-plant some cabbage - have a spot it doesn't seem to want to sprout.

Yes, over tightening the band will do it too. I forgot about that one, thank you. That's usually a problem with those very new to canning.

A whole bunch of tomatoes out there that should be ready to pick tomorrow. Storms are coming through tonight, so I may pick them tonight and let them ripen in the heat of the barn.

I have 4 qts of puree from yesterday left over, so I think I'll make up some tomato soup and get that sealed up.

All that's left in the garden is Mustard, and tomatoes, so from here on out, it's all tomato talk.

Wow so I played tug this morning with the 70 pound Malinois. He is either getting stronger or I am getting weaker. I also have a bleeding digit. Heaven help anyone who comes on to this property with bad intentions. That is one scary dog with severe separation anxiety issues regarding wife and I. Not to mention he could easily jump over our 6 ft tall fence. When he gets excited he jumps straight up and licks your face. He sleeps on our door at night not in front of it. I am just happy he is no longer chained out 24x7 as the neighbors found him to be unmanageable he is easily managed you just have to tell him what he is doing wrong. Best $100- I have ever spent.

Last edited:
Please don't misunderstand me this dog is a real sweetheart and loves people. We have no issues with him on our property and inviting others on to it to do landscaping or other work. Just if a bad actor showed up he would be an intractable ass of a dog to the point we would need to call an ambulance. We love him regardless. I just wish the vet would have taken the empty sack when she took his testes for us.

Back
Top Bottom