What did you do in the garden today?

AllenK RGV

Chicken Addict
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2017
Deep South Texas Laureles,TX 10A
Good afternoon gardeners. We (Phoenix) have broken a record from 2011 for most number of days over 110* in a year. 34 and counting as of Sunday, so today makes day 36. The extended forecast has us at 110+ for the next 2 weeks; this has me seriously reconsidering keeping chickens. I really like having the litter for my compost piles but I dunno. Anyway, all I do is water right now, you know that. So far nothing else has died so that's a plus. Have a good evening guys and gals.

PS I know this technically isn't garden related, but I got my new sprouter lids today so that's my good news. My last sprouter was in constant use but it disappeared after I put it in the dishwasher. The oldest GS puts dishes away and may have put it with stuff that went to Goodwill.
View attachment 2286502
Now if you only had humidity too. I didn't expect lows under 80 yet so that is a bonus. Our feels like is 110 or so daily. 1597193830257.png

Compost King

Free Ranging
Apr 19, 2018
Salisbury, North Carolina
I made 2 batches of Kosher dill pickles yesterday. Put 1 habanero in each jar in the first batch, and 1 Carolina Reaper in each jar of the second batch. Went to the dungeon for jars and found 6 jars of pickles from last year! :gig Opened one and holy smokes they are hot!
do you make them with Vinegar or Salt Brine?

Sequel

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Feb 17, 2015
Kitsap County, Western Washington
These are cheater pickles, white vinegar and water and salt with spices. I am going to ferment some the old time way too though. I make kraut and have plenty of air locks from the brew store. It’s just so easy to have shelf stable dills, stuff them in the dungeon and you’re done!

Compost King

Free Ranging
Apr 19, 2018
Now if you only had humidity too. I didn't expect lows under 80 yet so that is a bonus. Our feels like is 110 or so daily. View attachment 2286627
This is the year I realized Humidity is so much worse than high temps. Although we are relatively cool compared to your climate, and we have actually had a cool summer by our own standards, I would go out and work at night since temps were in the low 70's but Humidity jumped to 99% and as soon as I lifted one heavy thing I would start sweating and sweating but there was no evaporation so I would over heat despite it being a Temperature I consider to be on the cold side. I ended up working in the 90 plus heat of the day because I could at least have some evaporation in the 70% humidity. However I can not complain, only 5 weeks of heat this year and maybe a day or 2 over 95. Thats a cool summer for here but a very humid one.

Compost King

Free Ranging
Apr 19, 2018
These are cheater pickles, white vinegar and water and salt with spices. I am going to ferment some the old time way too though. I make kraut and have plenty of air locks from the brew store. It’s just so easy to have shelf stable dills, stuff them in the dungeon and you’re done!
This is my first year doing fermented pickles (and other veggies) but previously I did cheater pickles because they taste so good. Maybe the fermented ones taste better maybe not I will find out Aug 21st when they reach the 2 week point.

AllenK RGV

Chicken Addict
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2017
Deep South Texas Laureles,TX 10A
This is the year I realized Humidity is so much worse than high temps. Although we are relatively cool compared to your climate, and we have actually had a cool summer by our own standards, I would go out and work at night since temps were in the low 70's but Humidity jumped to 99% and as soon as I lifted one heavy thing I would start sweating and sweating but there was no evaporation so I would over heat despite it being a Temperature I consider to be on the cold side. I ended up working in the 90 plus heat of the day because I could at least have some evaporation in the 70% humidity. However I can not complain, only 5 weeks of heat this year and maybe a day or 2 over 95. Thats a cool summer for here but a very humid one.
Not to mention the mosquitoes will drain you. But yes after moving here there are North Texan tasks I can no longer do outside.

Sequel

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Feb 17, 2015
Kitsap County, Western Washington

Top Bottom