What did you do in the garden today?

They are are all the same dog Dr. Ruel like 1933 found these two black dogs of their breeding short.. and long coats came in as get went to homes in other counties color crept in there are varieties like cockers strip the coat they have the same bodies america bred more to temperment more Tervuren here
they are named for those counties all are belgian sheepdog Chien de belge de berge

Some garden pics!

All of a sudden, nearly ripe melons!

There are 2 kinds here - the center one is the different variety - the one on Left and one on right are the same kind.
Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 5.17.40 PM.png

More nearly ripe melons! These are "Athena" musk melon
Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 5.18.40 PM.png

Watermelon: Is it ripe?? How to Tell when to Pick? I don't think it is ready bc the stem looks very green and healthy!
Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 5.17.55 PM.png

same melon - what the bottom looks like:
Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 5.18.08 PM.png

Birdhouse gourd babies!
Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 5.18.52 PM.png

I took the day off from the garden. We had enough rain yesterday so I do not need to water. My harvests are winding down although I could always pick peppers since I have so many growing but I can always skip a day. Alls I did today was make sure animals have water and their feeders were all topped off last night. I am about to dump off food to the rationed fed Meat birds... needed a day off because those long hours for 2 or 3 months takes its toll. We are about to go in a period where the days get shorter rapidly and the nights get longer and I will be back to getting enough sleep every night soon.

Good afternoon gardeners. We (Phoenix) have broken a record from 2011 for most number of days over 110* in a year. 34 and counting as of Sunday, so today makes day 36. The extended forecast has us at 110+ for the next 2 weeks; this has me seriously reconsidering keeping chickens. I really like having the litter for my compost piles but I dunno. Anyway, all I do is water right now, you know that. So far nothing else has died so that's a plus. Have a good evening guys and gals.

PS I know this technically isn't garden related, but I got my new sprouter lids today so that's my good news. My last sprouter was in constant use but it disappeared after I put it in the dishwasher. The oldest GS puts dishes away and may have put it with stuff that went to Goodwill.
20200811_155405.jpg

Last edited:
Good afternoon gardeners. We (Phoenix) have broken a record from 2011 for most number of days over 110* in a year. 34 and counting as of Sunday, so today makes day 36. The extended forecast has us at 110+ for the next 2 weeks; this has me seriously reconsidering keeping chickens. I really like having the litter for my compost piles but I dunno. Anyway, all I do is water right now, you know that. So far nothing else has died so that's a plus. Have a good evening guys and gals.

PS I know this technically isn't garden related, but I got my new sprouter lids today so that's my good news. My last sprouter was in constant use but it disappeared after I put it in the dishwasher. The oldest GS puts dishes away and may have put it with stuff that went to Goodwill.
View attachment 2286502

Now if you only had humidity too. I didn't expect lows under 80 yet so that is a bonus. Our feels like is 110 or so daily. 1597193830257.png

I made 2 batches of Kosher dill pickles yesterday. Put 1 habanero in each jar in the first batch, and 1 Carolina Reaper in each jar of the second batch. Went to the dungeon for jars and found 6 jars of pickles from last year! :gig Opened one and holy smokes they are hot!
do you make them with Vinegar or Salt Brine?

do you make them with Vinegar or Salt Brine?
These are cheater pickles, white vinegar and water and salt with spices. I am going to ferment some the old time way too though. I make kraut and have plenty of air locks from the brew store. It’s just so easy to have shelf stable dills, stuff them in the dungeon and you’re done!

Back
Top Bottom