What did you do in the garden today?

Good morning gardeners. Today is our last day of unseasonably warm daytime temps. Finally heading into the normal temperature range overnight. Not sure if we are getting frost but I picked all the peppers and the last okra this morning. Yesterday was too wet to do any outside work so I hope to at least move more dirt today. The pile is getting smaller thankfully. The grass seed I planted in the front yard is coming up and looking pretty good. Unfortunately the Covid-19 infection rates have been increasing lately so I've started gathering supplies to tide me over if we have another potential lockdown. I'm also planning a trip to HD for paint, wood, etc for any projects that might be "fun" during a shutdown. One of my pullets has gone broody. OMG! What a PIA. I take her out of the nest box several times a day and make sure she is eating and getting out in the yard, but she ends up in the nest box after a little bit. Two of my older hens are molting, one is in full molt with her feather quills nearly covering her body. Of course egg layng has slowed down due to the shorter daylight hours. The forecast is for rain every few days next week but I should be able to get the garden cleaned up finally. On my rainy days I plan on canning apples and applesauce and get that off my to do list. Looking forward to planning next years garden when the snow starts flying. Have a great day everyone.

Final harvest
final harvest 2020.JPG

Impatien blooming

impatien blossom.JPG

Morning all. Picked up the littles today, couple questions (please don't make me venture out of the garden thread, it's scary out there!):

Is the light one really a Buff Orp? I totally did not expect it to be so grayish. @Wee Farmer Sarah, you have Buffs, what do you think?
& the black with reddish head was sold as a Araucana but I knew that was never going to be what I got - assuming EE (which is what I really wanted, lol).
IMG_20201024_105222002.jpg
IMG_20201024_110421169.jpg

Sorry for the horrible pics, they JUST came home in a box & are scared to death so I just grabbed a couple quick pics & let them be.

I really don't care what they are, just wanted some different looking birds in my little back yard flock. She also threw in a Black Australorp, looks like a pullet to me, as do they all, but she will take back anything that crows & I'm certainly no expert.

ETA: they're supposed to be like 9-10 weeks.

Morning all. Picked up the littles today, couple questions (please don't make me venture out of the garden thread, it's scary out there!):

Is the light one really a Buff Orp? I totally did not expect it to be so grayish. @Wee Farmer Sarah, you have Buffs, what do you think?
& the black with reddish head was sold as a Araucana but I knew that was never going to be what I got - assuming EE (which is what I really wanted, lol).View attachment 2385357View attachment 2385359

Sorry for the horrible pics, they JUST came home in a box & are scared to death so I just grabbed a couple quick pics & let them be.

I really don't care what they are, just wanted some different looking birds in my little back yard flock. She also threw in a Black Australorp, looks like a pullet to me, as do they all, but she will take back anything that crows & I'm certainly no expert.

ETA: they're supposed to be like 9-10 weeks.
I have a couple EEs that look like the one with the redish head but I'm not sure with the leg coloring. I also have an EE like the grey colored one.

Google doesn't lie! :gig

Maybe when they all chill in a few days I'll get better pics & post them on the breed/sex guess board. Doesn't matter what she is, she's the prettiest of them all anyway!

I just went to check on them, 3 were still in a pile in the corner & the Australorp was up on the roost & running around. Shes gonna be trouble, that one!

One of my pullets has gone broody. OMG! What a PIA. I take her out of the nest box several times a day and make sure she is eating and getting out in the yard, but she ends up in the nest box after a little bit.
Let me know if that works for yours. Right now I am going out every night after dark and taking Dotty the pullet off a nest and sticking her back on a roost. I'll try taking her off the nest every time I go out there too.
Is the light one really a Buff Orp? I totally did not expect it to be so grayish.
That isn't a Buff Orp, could be a blue maybe. This is an old picture but the middle one on the right is my bo Amilia. She's a great layer and big eggs too.
Watermelon Party.jpg

And it's official, I'm a dork. I found the big bag o' seeds where either I or DP put it for safe keeping so disaster averted. Only got down to the low 50s last night but it's supposed to get to the upper 30s so I have to get the peppers moved into the greenhouse. Got so much to do but it's so easy to sit here and drink tea and scritch my cat.

Back
Top Bottom