What did you do in the garden today?

It finally stopped raining for a couple of hours. I’m sitting outside with the ladies. My nest box queen is losing feathers on her underside from laying down all the time. I’ll try putting her on the roost at dusk and see if that does anything. The other 2 BO’s are roosting in the run overnight. Frustrating. The weather is supposed to be cold but dry and sunny next week. I hope to resume working on fall clean up. Still too wet to do anything for today or tomorrow. Have a great day everyone.

Glad they got to you in what sounds like good condition! Keep us updated.

I made a dust bath for the girls and mixed in about 40 lbs of sand, about a cup of food grade DE, and a cup of these lovely smelling dried herbs. Probably do nothing really but they smell so nice. Just like a fresh bottle of poultry seasoning...I have to wonder if that is a deliberate troll and the makers laugh their butts off or a coincidence? You decide. :gig
DH calls that pre-seasoning the chicken.

It's damp and cold out today. I haven't been able to fish clearing the raised beds yet. There's some tomato and eggplant plants that I need to pull yet. I'm not sure how I'm going to tip the raised beds off just yet. I am thinking about pulling on mulched leaves. I'm wondering if the mulched leaves will work effectively as mulch, allowing water and air to pass through while retaining moisture below and blocking weeds, in the Spring or if they'll compact and form a mat like whole leaves do.

Last edited:
Good afternoon gardeners. I watered the oleanders and looked in on the gardens, not much has changed. I’m excited to get the coop interior whitewashed this weekend, it always looks so nice when it’s fresh. I also need to paint the outside so might get that done this weekend too. I’m already planning for an early trip to HD after the park Saturday for the rest of the soil for the veggie garden and then we’ll plant next weekend. I’ve been looking at ponds for the ducks but haven’t made any decisions yet. I know it won’t be going in the coop yard but have to decide where to put it first and how I can reuse the water. Another factor is the amount of water to use each time the pool has to be cleaned out. I have no idea how much water I use when I run the hose, I give more or less each time based on need. Ok, enough rambling. Have a good night all.

Back
Top Bottom