What did you do in the garden today?

I love brussels sprouts and artichokes. Artichokes either steamed and slowly eaten one leaf base at a time with mayo then the heart once you've earned it. Marinated in a salad or pasta, or cut up on a pizza. Canned ones mixed with mayo, cream cheese, and Parmesan cheese and then served either hot or cold with pita or crackers. Artichokes are a gift from the gods and if mine do well enough next season I'll try my hand at canning them.

The home made scd turned out even more delicious than the store bought kind (more caramely flavor) so I'll be making ours from now on. Helped put up the wooden Xmas train yesterday. 20201201_132351.jpg
20201201_132426.jpg

And in garden news, the potted camellia is blooming.
20201201_113255.jpg

My mystery new layer is still laying about every other day. Still trying to catch her in the act but I'm sure it's one of the sfh. They're so pretty but such poor layers. I think they'll be going to freezer camp once we can start some new hatching eggs come spring. DP loves incubating and hatching eggs so she's on board with trying a couple of new breeds. Maybe leghorn and/or maren.

I have ducklings! Will post pics later
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Morning non-garden rant.
The lids on the tubs of laundry pods. DANG it. OC so they've made them child-proof-I get it kids get into stuff that isn't properly stored, and we watch them as best we can, but they're fast and sneaky BUT DANG IT, it's about the most arthritis unfriendly container on EARTH!
As you mentioned, there’s such a thing as proper storage. Let’s not forget discipline and parents NOT ignoring their kids being on their phones. Just sayin.

No I knew someone would.
I've spent the morning ripping apart the trim around my french door in my bedroom.
For 6 years we've roasted, or worse, FROZEN in the winter. Windy N and NW days where the worst. A couple of days ago my room was 15 degrees colder than the rest of the 65 degree house. In years past, I've put up that shrinky plastic over every window in my bedroom of this 15 year old house. That's nuts.

When I walked past the french door the other day, I actually FELT the draft. Wind was not only blowing from behind the trim but was forcing its way out the electrical outlet next to it. I put a insulator foam panel behind the outlet cover.

Today, I pulled off the trim. OMG. I swear, contractors. The insulation crammed in the one inch plus wall to door gap was sparse at best, crammed in other places, and outright missing down at the floor level, like the guy didn't want to be bothered by bending over.

I ripped out all the fiberglass insulation and filled the gaps with spray foam. I've trimmed it and just need to drag the compressor in and put the trim back up.

When we get above 45 in the next couple of days, I'll caulk between the Jchannel of the siding and the door, something else they never did, just in case there's another spot the foam isn't taking care of. Then I'll hope for another windy day and see what happens. There are four windows in there too, but I don't recall drafts or low numbers around them with the laser thermometer last winter, only around the door.

Air was still pouring through the socket, so I removed the plate again. poked a hole through the wall to the empty void outside the electrics box and unleashed a huge amount of foam into the wall, which is curing and expanding as we speak. THAT plus the foam gap plate, should do the trick and I will attack the outside with caulk in the next couple of days. I'm tired of being COLD.

+++++
Just got a seed catalog in the afternoon post!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom