What did you do in the garden today?

It sounds like you have some fun stuff planned Karen, I hope you have a blast with your granddaughter! You can buy almost any alcohol in the the small bottles, locating them may be a problem. We have total wine or something like that here and they sell them. I only know because we get a bottle of eiswein for our anniversary every year there and I’ve seen them.

I feed Oxbow Adult T once daily, at least 2 cups greens per rabbit per day and as much Timothy hay as they want. I limit treats but they get one of these a few times a week: a chunk of banana or a slice of apple, a few grapes, berries, carrots. Greens I mix up but be careful with spinach and kale is iffy, look up the list I can’t remember all the goods and bads right now. I never have given them any of the treats from the store that you can buy, except for these little hay bales with meadow grass and such. They really enjoy them and there aren’t any fruit loop looking things in them. I found them at walmart,

Two rabbits the same sex or not may fight if not neutered or spayed. Space can play a big role in that, kinda like chickens. If you have a typical hutch that’ll be ok for one but not two or three so you’ll need a way of housing two more. I’m a huge advocate for more room so might not be your best resource in that regard. I have two rabbits and their total space is about 64 square feet. I keep them in the house on the floor in a pen. I would give them more space if I could and plan to do so whenever the hell my daughter gets her act together and gets her own place.

Has anyone heard from Compost King? He doesnt seem to have posted in over a month now. I checked with the bunny thread but its not very active right now.
I was thinking about @Compost King just yesterday too, wondering where he's been! Maybe he gets emails when tagged...

@karenerwin those jams sound delish, I'm always on the hunt for new flavors for my annual Christmas Jams. That orange one sounds good, I will have to google it & add that to my list! The kids are going to love doing all the crafts you're bringing!

Morning all. Nothing happening around here, I think my lettuce might be done, we had a good frost last night. It finally looks like the littles have recovered from Cocci & the suspected bacteria infection after. I'm SOOOO glad I stocked up the chicken medicine cabinet over the summer!

Have a good one all.

Have you fried them in bacon fat? 🤤

Yum - every Thanksgiving, bacon (cut into small pieces), cooked in a cast iron skillet. Add halved Brussel sprouts. Cook till browned somewhat, still a slight bit of crunch. Yum! Even the kid will eat them.

However, this year kid says, "I don't like Brussel Sprouts". Me: "Hmm, you've said you liked them in the past". Kid: repeat above. Me: "But, you don't hate them, you just don't prefer them...". Kid: rolls eyes and says nothing. Me to spouse: "Maybe we should boil some Brussel Sprouts so kid can have some kind of reference for how much they do or don't like the ones quick cooked in pan with bacon". Kid: dirty look to parents, followed by rolled eyes. Might have to boil some Brussel Sprouts, what do you think? Kid is early teen, not a young kid - the boiled Brussel Sprouts experience might scar a young kid :lau

@Acre4Me - getting hammered with the snow? I'm jealous. I was so sad we took the AC out of the window, it was so stinkin hot last night.

No, not too much snow. A few inches. The worst is the ice on the roads. A huge farm field across the road, level with the road, so wind whips the snow across the road, and it can be pretty treacherous in one direction. Even with little snow, it was pretty bad when I was out driving, which surprised me.

In years past, I've put up that shrinky plastic over every window in my bedroom of this 15 year old house. That's nuts.
Wow - only 15 years old! But, my home (around 40 years old) just had all windows (except 1) and all doors treated same way you did. Last year big storm with high winds. WOW! the wind that entered the house from the gaps! We sealed it up as best we could for the storm, then fixed it this spring. Same as you, one is left scratching their head at the poor job that was done to seal up those windows and doors :rolleyes:. During this last storm this past week, we noticed we are still getting wind coming in a few spots around the door. But, the glass storm door isn't in properly, so some gaps - we need to try to re-seat the door, and/or put up better seals. And wind is still coming through the light switch! So, we will be spray foaming that more next spring.

I ripped out all the fiberglass insulation and filled the gaps with spray foam. I've trimmed it and just need to drag the compressor in and put the trim back up.

We went through a few cans of spray foam!

@karenerwin "Do they sell rum in those little airline sized bottles? That would be cool if I could find a coconut rum in that size"

Yes, they should - my local liquor store is in the Kroger store. They have an entire wall behind register with tiny to small sized bottles of many many things. Coconut run is pretty popular, so I would guess an easy find.

That's crazy, my house is 70 years old & the only thing that stinks cold or wind wise is the crappy windows themselves, not the insulation around them or in the walls. We had an energy assessment done & we did super well. They did caulk around all the door & window frames & put sweeps under the attic doors upstairs. They couldn't do a full blow test unfortunately, because we have vermiculite around the chimney in the attic.

Can you all get the free energy assessments? I think it was a federal grant & it expires at the end of Dec. I think. LOL. They replaced tons of light bulbs!

That's crazy, my house is 70 years old & the only thing that stinks cold or wind wise is the crappy windows themselves, not the insulation around them or in the walls. We had an energy assessment done & we did super well. They did caulk around all the door & window frames & put sweeps under the attic doors upstairs. They couldn't do a full blow test unfortunately, because we have vermiculite around the chimney in the attic.

Can you all get the free energy assessments? I think it was a federal grant & it expires at the end of Dec. I think. LOL. They replaced tons of light bulbs!
This is a high efficiency house.
All the lights are LED. The walls are 18 inches thick downstairs and 6 upstairs.
The furnace is a 98% ultra efficient unit. BLAH BLAH BLAH
It is heavily insulated, except around the damn windows. Which I have fixed, or will.
Last night was better, but I haven't caulked outside yet.
It's the GLASS in the French doors and the WOOD framing the glass that is reading as COLD on the laser thermometer.
If the door didn't cost upwards of $10,000 to replace, I'd have it out of here.

Lord, you people make me feel like a slug.
I finally finished decorating for Christmas, cleaned the quail cage, added water to the aquariums and called it a day. Just lazy I guess.
It seems the older I get, the less I can stand the cold. It was only 42 degrees outside today, and I feel like Granny Grunt. Can't seem to stay warm. Presently wearing knit shirt, sweat pants, heavy socks, sweater and am gonna sit in the recliner under a blanket and drink my coffee. I need to contemplate what I need to do next- vaccuum, mop, finish several sewing projects I have started, start a new project ... maybe I will just read a book. I really am grateful to be retired. If I had to gussy up and go to work every day to deal with stress and people, I don't know what I would do. So YAY, I get to stay home all day, maybe even nap.

Spaghetti sauce on the stove.
DH and DS are both in zoom meetings in their offices downstairs, so I can't vacuum.
I need to reblack my Nordic Horse for Jul, so MAYBE i'll drag her in to do that. Plop her right in the middle of the coffee table.

DS wants to go car shopping tomorrow. Parenting is HARD! I'm a nervous wreck. He's student teaching full time this spring term and walking 1.5 miles back and forth to the school and campus has been not working well for him this past term. He's been awesome for 3.5 years, walking everywhere, working his butt off, and taking the bus or bike everywhere all over the city.
He opened his own own credit card a couple days ago, one not with our name on it or anything.
He's a super careful, responsible kid, but it's other people we worry about.

But like Dory says,
“Well, you can't never let anything happen to him. Then nothing would ever happen to him."

He has a FAA Pilot's license FCOL! LOL

t's the GLASS in the French doors and the WOOD framing the glass that is reading as COLD on the laser thermometer.
That's our issue too, we have wooden bay windows everywhere (I have NO idea why anyone would do a bay window, no matter how well done the eventually sag). Between the sag & the wood our windows are very cold.

That is crazy your doors/windows are so drafty considering!

Back
Top Bottom