What did you do in the garden today?

I'm curious why you don't like it? I've always dreamed of moving to Christmas Island and retiring. Maybe some day....

1) you depend on ferry boats. if you have any emergency and need to go somewhere, you are stuck.

2) everything is more expensive than in mainland.

3) you don't have a lot of choice when shopping.

4) islands usually have not been well supplied with all we might need.

etc.

I have a large bag of garlic I hot at the grocery store. I really like the taste and size - it's spicier and larger than the stuff we usually get. It looks like a hard neck variety a central woody stem extending off a base. I want to try to grow this garlic in the garden. Any ideas to test if it will sprout? Also, we are well into winter but this year has been mild. I can dig the soil in the raised beds still, so is it safe to plant now? I hear waiting for Spring tends to result in less growth of the bulbs.

you can plant them. only outer cloves will make good plants.

We go through SO much garlic in this house. It's ridiculous really. Vampires should never be a problem.

OMG I just realized I forgot to tell you all a funny from this last week.

OK so Sunday night, I'm laying in bed not sleeping, feeling like I've been hit by a train, and just as I'm about to fall asleep, the great horned own lands on the roof and starts to hoot her brains out. Country problems, am I right?! It's akin to the neighbor's dog barking at 2am in suburbia.
OK, so she hoots a few times, then I hear a thud. Then she hoots, and I hear another thud, and another, then God awful screeching, more thuds, and then quiet. She hoots and I hear another thud, a scream, and a LOUD thud, and then again it's quiet.

Oh ya, and DH is asleep the whole time. I'm laying there on my back, eyes as big as saucers. I honestly would not have been more surprised had aliens ripped the roof off the bedroom end of the house. It was that wild sounding.

So I go down the hall and step out onto the deck. (Going out onto the deck from the bedroom, would have woken up the hound, who is in no way stealthy.) So I look on the roof. Yup, she's up there, and she's picked up some carryout for dinner. I think it was a possum, but it sure wasn't happy to have been invited to dinner. LOL.

My heavens. The noises. At least she picked up after herself.

Y'all. I have taken my seed buying obsession to the next level. I started pre-ordering bulk seeds last year and I'm just about ready to launch my website offering packets of a lot of the same varieties from the same growers that Territorial Seeds, Baker Creek, Johnny's etc. offers seed from. I'm still trying to flesh out my inventory a bit and I'm so nervous! I was hoping this might pay my way through this semester of school, at least, but honestly I've bought way more than tuition cost on seeds so far and I'm scared to death that I won't even recoup my investment.

Anyway, that's why I have 75 varieties of tomatoes. Guess I should fess up. :lau Also, I just roped my dad into helping me with the business, and that's strangely exciting.

What are the top five species of seeds that you buy? I wish I could get some of everything and my personal tendency is to "go weird" but dad thinks I should offer normal "staple" type varieties, too.

What would you do?

Love my new logo, but I feel like it should have a chicken, version, too.
HototLogo (13).png

Anyway I post this here because that's what I did for the garden today—bought more seeds. I want to propagate and save seed from as many as possible this year to reduce what I have to purchase for next year... if it proves to be a viable thing to do, at least.

Y'all. I have taken my seed buying obsession to the next level. I started pre-ordering bulk seeds last year and I'm just about ready to launch my website offering packets of a lot of the same varieties from the same growers that Territorial Seeds, Baker Creek, Johnny's etc. offers seed from. I'm still trying to flesh out my inventory a bit and I'm so nervous! I was hoping this might pay my way through this semester of school, at least, but honestly I've bought way more than tuition cost on seeds so far and I'm scared to death that I won't even recoup my investment.

Anyway, that's why I have 75 varieties of tomatoes. Guess I should fess up. :lau Also, I just roped my dad into helping me with the business, and that's strangely exciting.

What are the top five species of seeds that you buy? I wish I could get some of everything and my personal tendency is to "go weird" but dad thinks I should offer normal "staple" type varieties, too.

What would you do?

View attachment 2491526

Anyway I post this here because that's what I did for the garden today—bought more seeds. I want to propagate and save seed from as many as possible this year to reduce what I have to purchase for next year... if it proves to be a viable thing to do, at least.
GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
I ALWAYS buy Marigolds, peas, green beans, and Tomato seeds
If I find something weird enough that looks enchanting I'll try it. Usually it's the write up AND a photo of the final plant or veg that draws me in. I shop for plants visually, then read.
That's how I ended up with dragon tongue beans, and yellow pear cherry tomatoes, and green beans that had pink flowers instead of white, and far more zinnia seeds that I would ever need.

What would you do?

View attachment 2491526

Top species of seed I buy... not sure I have a top 5 but some favorites are straight eight cucumber, a pickling variety of cucumber (boston pickling cucumber this year and last) mortgage lifter tomato, rutgers tomato, san marzano tamato (my first year with them but I've always wanted), jalapeno pepper, habanero pepper.

It helps if you tell a brief story about each species. What makes it special? What's your experience with it? What's the history behind it?

Best of luck! Post your website when it's up and running.

Back
Top Bottom