What did you do in the garden today?

My sweet corn is two rows back to back rather than blocks. This is just corn, the three sisters is in another section in mounds. In total the area for sweet corn is 2ft wide just but 10ft long. I was thinking of planting double rows in a staggered fashion.
X....X
...X....X
X....X
...X....X
X....X
...X....X
I’ve planted corn in 3 rows 8 feet long and 12 to 18 inches apart and it was just fine. One thing to remember is that many of us on this thread are backyard type gardeners and not full time farmers so we have neither the acreage or the desire to plant more than that. I’m planting 3 rows, 10 feet by 4 feet total space with Lima pole beans growing on the stalks this year. More than enough corn and beans for 2 people.

Hey welcome to the Gardeners thread @Wormhunter
I have this one
Flock Blocks

4 cups scratch grains
2 cups layer feed
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup crushed egg shells or oyster shell
2 tsp cinnamon
6 eggs
1 cup molasses
1 cup solid fat or lard

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees
Mix dry ingredients.
Beat eggs then mix in molasses.
Mix fat into dry ingredients, then add wet ingredients and mix well.

Fill loaf pans. Press tight and smooth. If you want to hang, poke a hole in it with a chopstick so you can thread it with twine later.
Bake at 325 degrees for 30 min.

It will turn a dark brown. Let cool fully before feeding
Ooh thanks so much, got all the ingredients and except molasses?

I’ve planted corn in 3 rows 8 feet long and 12 to 18 inches apart and it was just fine. One thing to remember is that many of us on this thread are backyard type gardeners and not full time farmers so we have neither the acreage or the desire to plant more than that. I’m planting 3 rows, 10 feet by 4 feet total space with Lima pole beans growing on the stalks this year. More than enough corn and beans for 2 people.
Yes, I forgot. I also forgot that many of you don't deal with the open country winds I do. So there's that as well.

Thanks! I too so bit have a farm. My garden is large, but certainly not acres. Have you had issues with wind damage planting just a few rows? Also, I like that you plant beans with your corn. I just might add more scarlet runners in with the sweet corn.

When I planted corn in the past I was in a more urban area that was fortunate to have been spared strong low level winds. However my current property gets more strong winds from frequent Nor’easters. This will be my first year planting corn specifically however my pole beans and tall tomato plants have not sustained any substantial wind damage here. My garden area is not at all protected from winds from the north or west so “knock on wood” my luck will hold.

One year I did 4 rows of experimental(for me) sweet corn variety. 4 rows, 25 feet long, plants 12 inches apart, rows 24 inches apart, just enough to walk down sideways and pollinate. All four rows at 7 feet tall blew down in one 55 mph thunderstorm.

Corn in field 300 yards away, fine.
I'm already going to be building strong trellises for tomatoes and cucumber. It would be hard so add a few more vertical poles with strings running horizontally on either side of the corn rows. This would act as reinforced for the few rows of corn.

Back
Top Bottom