What did you do in the garden today?

Not much going on today. Might move some transplant some lettuce out the garden from where I put sowed to much in the window box. And maybe some radish and carrot seeds. I might have time today put it will probably get put off until tomorrow. My winter/spring garden is summed up in “If it makes it awesome. If not oh well.” It does look like spring is coming early this year. My Passion flower plant is putting on new growth, the blackberries are starting to leaf out, bluebirds are nesting and I saw a pair of nesting barred owls yesterday!
C9F45913-3293-43B6-9718-7FBE001B614D.jpeg
8619C263-4030-47E5-8EF1-4304CA129F27.jpeg

Frozen here today. We got snowed on the last two days. It's not a tom of snow but it's enough to make me stay out of the garden. I want Spring to come already. I am not a winter body. I was watching a documentary on TV yesterday that mentioned a town in Peru that has "eternal Spring" thanks to there steady microclimate. That made me jealous.

Today is running DS around and some work meetings. Mondays are Farther and son days because I take to therapy and school, both of which of a one parent/guardian only policy right now. No school today though. If the snow sticks around, I might take him sledding later.

Morning all.

I think I paid like $8 for the bales of straw I bought where I get my feed. I use 1 as a wind/snow block at the small coop & the other to spread when it snows so the chickens will come out. I've used 2 flakes so far. :gig

Not much going on here, been a pretty mild winter so far but I expect that will change soon. It seems we always get that polar vortex around this time.

I want it for outdoor bedding in the chicken and duck runs and for mulching the garden. I have four bales from the Fall that were used as decoration. I'll be lucky if these are going to be enough to mulch the planting areas of the garden, but I'll need more for the runs and of course I'll need to add to or replace the run bedding from time to time. I too see people asking for order minimums of 100 bales. They want to sell a truckload, when I just need a few at a time. I don't have room to store a large quantities of bales either.
Check the board in the front of the local tractor supply store/orscheln type store. OR ask the manager if they know someone. Dang if you were only closer to me. LOL.

I ordered a flexible grow light with 4 LED bars. It came in today, so I put our poinsettia under it for now. The poinsettia is a survivor from Christmas that I'd like to keep alive. I'll be using the grow light for my indoor starts this year.

Speaking of indoor starts, can I start garlic indoors and then transplant it? Does it take transplanting well?

20210118_144347.jpg

Good afternoon gardeners. I’ve heard what sounds like birds of prey outside, hawks most likely but I haven’t seen them. This has been for the last couple of days so it’s making me a wee nervous about the ducks. They do keep an eye to the sky though. I might move their pool under the tree in the same yard as their house and lock them in there for now. There are more hiding places. Anyway, headed out to water a bit and bring in a bunch of stuff before the possible rain this week. I’m hoping for it but not counting on it. Have a great day all.

Back
Top Bottom