What did you do in the garden today?

@BReeder!, I'm sorry, I don't know. The contractor we had for the house installation had a greenhouse on his property that he never used so he delivered it with the attached deck to our lot and once the season was over I had another guy lift it and put heavy landscape fabric and gravel under it to keep the danged runner grass out. It's not perfect and tends to grow algae on the inside but I don't need it to be pretty just effective and it sure is. It has a hydraulic vent on the roof that opens when it gets too hot inside but without any power. I love the thing.

Thank you @littledog, I wrote down your pumpkin soup recipe and I'll try it soon.

@Sueby, my rhubarb had all of last year to grow without being cut so this year I am going to cut some and make some strawberry and rhubarb jam.

So I was a good kid and finally cleaned the human side of the chicken coup, tossed empty bags and swept the whole thing getting the dust and cobwebs down. It totally freaked out the ladies, Queenie screamed at the top of her voice over and over and it must have been "OMG THERE'S A HAWK IN THE COOP!" cuz everyone ran out and hid under the coop. They'd been inside the coop hoping for treats up until then. Oh well, at least they know what to do in case there really was a hawk.

I was going to plant tomatoes and peppers today but I'm out of starting mix and only have pure coir left and I'm not sure how well that would work. I might wait till I make a town trip. Do you think coir mixed with regular potting soil would work?
It does work, but the ratio is different as most potting soil is a lot of coir already.
I grabbed a bag of compost raised bed soil to mix with the coir this year as the county pile of compost soil is a frozen mass.

@Sueby Ha! You have my problem I see. Everything I make, whether it's spicy or not, my hubby says "It could be hotter." Meanwhile, my face is melting off from jalapenos. When I make poppers (jalapeno halves stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon), I have to leave the seeds in half a dozen or so just to make them hot enough for him.

Okay, I've delayed long enough. Time to replant the spinach and check on that darn basil seed that looks... less than appetizing. Blegh.

So...I lied. I said I'd do nothing today, but then we went to the market and they were selling fresh turmeric, galangal, sunchokes, and beets with new growth on them...so had to buy those to plant. Got the sunchokes and beets in today. Hoping they are "cute" enough for the front yard, since the chickens would DEMOLISH them if I planted them out back. I figure cabbages can be "decorative," so why not a border of red and gold beets? 😉

Oh thanks guys! I'll start planting today! :wee
Tomorrow I've got to pick up DP's prescription and get a couple flavors of ice cream. That dang commercial for Geico with the guys singing and dancing while making sundaes has me craving ice cream sundaes. Vanilla and caramel with strawberry and banana topping!
BOOM choco-lotta-lotta lotta

Got the sunchokes and beets in today. Hoping they are "cute" enough for the front yard, since the chickens would DEMOLISH them if I planted them out back. I figure cabbages can be "decorative," so why not a border of red and gold beets? 😉
The sunchokes we planted were very pretty if really tall. They didn't bloom till they hit about 8 feet! And the rabbits loved the foliage. The beets foliage looks like chard and so are really handsome. Chickens and rabbits loved them. My cabbage was not attractive at all.
BOOM choco-lotta-lotta lotta
:wee :wee :wee

@BReeder!, I'm sorry, I don't know. The contractor we had for the house installation had a greenhouse on his property that he never used so he delivered it with the attached deck to our lot and once the season was over I had another guy lift it and put heavy landscape fabric and gravel under it to keep the danged runner grass out. It's not perfect and tends to grow algae on the inside but I don't need it to be pretty just effective and it sure is. It has a hydraulic vent on the roof that opens when it gets too hot inside but without any power. I love the thing.

Thank you @littledog, I wrote down your pumpkin soup recipe and I'll try it soon.

@Sueby, my rhubarb had all of last year to grow without being cut so this year I am going to cut some and make some strawberry and rhubarb jam.

So I was a good kid and finally cleaned the human side of the chicken coup, tossed empty bags and swept the whole thing getting the dust and cobwebs down. It totally freaked out the ladies, Queenie screamed at the top of her voice over and over and it must have been "OMG THERE'S A HAWK IN THE COOP!" cuz everyone ran out and hid under the coop. They'd been inside the coop hoping for treats up until then. Oh well, at least they know what to do in case there really was a hawk.

I was going to plant tomatoes and peppers today but I'm out of starting mix and only have pure coir left and I'm not sure how well that would work. I might wait till I make a town trip. Do you think coir mixed with regular potting soil would work?
I mixed peat moss (instead if coir) with cheap top soil and some steer manure. It isc working well on everything so far.

Back
Top Bottom