What did you do in the garden today?

All my squash ended up with them last year in two different plots, winter and summer. I've never seen them so thick.

No garden plans for the day besides peeking at the trays to check water levels.

63 but very windy today. Putting in new nesting boxes in the coop, in a new location.
Might take the dog to the B-A-T-H place at the tractor store today and hose off Winter.

Do marigolds help with the bugs? I was thinking of doing summer squash this year...hmmm...
I had marigolds by my tomatoes and didn't see ANY soldier bugs on the 'maters at all last year. I definitely will be doing that again this year. The year before last, I lost a lot of tomatoes to the #$%@ pests.

@Sueby, I think the bugs hate the smell too, and that's why they stay away. I don't have a very acute sense of smell, so maybe that's why I don't mind them.

I had marigolds by my tomatoes and didn't see ANY soldier bugs on the 'maters at all last year. I definitely will be doing that again this year. The year before last, I lost a lot of tomatoes to the #$%@ pests.

@Sueby, I think the bugs hate the smell too, and that's why they stay away. I don't have a very acute sense of smell, so maybe that's why I don't mind them.
If those thing keep the soldier bugs away I’m planting the whole packet! Those things drive me nuts!

What do you use for the hoops? I want to put some tunnels up this year too, but I think the kits offered at stores and online are overpriced.
I ordered a kit from Amazon. I think they're just cheap PVC poles with connectors, but I'd have to find them to confirm that, lol. I'm just going to do the tunnel for lettuce, for warmth in the spring & then I'll switch to shade cloth for summer.

Last edited:
I despise marigolds & their smell. :oops: But people swear by them.
I'm shocked. My marigolds never smell overly strong. Last year I wanted them all throughout the garden, but never got around to planting them. I did have them down the edge of the driveway though. I walked past them every day and never noticed much of an odor. Perhaps it's the open air dispersing the odor or maybe it's just because there were just 3 or plants along the ~20ft stretch.
That said, I have 50 marigolds growing in a tray right now. I will definitely be incorporating them in the garden this year to see if they truly work to keep bugs and rabbits away. As a bonus experiment, I hear the flowers are great for chickens and can deepen the color of their egg yolks. We shall see...

I'm shocked. My marigolds never smell overly strong. Last year I wanted them all throughout the garden, but never got around to planting them. I did have them down the edge of the driveway though. I walked past them every day and never noticed much of an odor. Perhaps it's the open air dispersing the odor or maybe it's just because there were just 3 or plants along the ~20ft stretch.
That said, I have 50 marigolds growing in a tray right now. I will definitely be incorporating them in the garden this year to see if they truly work to keep bugs and rabbits away. As a bonus experiment, I hear the flowers are great for chickens and can deepen the color of their egg yolks. We shall see...
The heirloom French types have the strongest smell. The other kinds and the modern hybrids of the French don’t have as strong of a smell.

Back
Top Bottom