What did you do in the garden today?

Overpriced IMO, but this is a neat concept.
https://tertill.com/
1614707470967.png

Well, some google searching turned up a description of Marigold's scent as, "They have an overpowering musky smell like wet hay or straw." Certainly not something I want to wear as a cologne...
Back in the mid 90s I was a scent tester for BathandBody Works. OMG some of the stuff they gave us. There was one I remember describing as 'that patch of law with the mystery weeds in it, after a good rain, and after you hit it with the mower. You swear to yourself that you'll avoid hitting that patch again, but forget every time, and regret is every time. Bitter, musky, overwhelming, gag inducing.'

Back in the mid 90s I was a scent tester for BathandBody Works. OMG some of the stuff they gave us. There was one I remember describing as 'that patch of law with the mystery weeds in it, after a good rain, and after you hit it with the mower. You swear to yourself that you'll avoid hitting that patch again, but forget every time, and regret is every time. Bitter, musky, overwhelming, gag inducing.'
I have a patch of lawn filled with a creeping weed that actually smiles very nice when I hit it with the mower. It's like lavender.
I assume you're weedy patch contains a very different weed.

So question...I plan to plant thai ginger (galangal), regular ginger, and turmeric. Do I need to fence them off from the chickens, or will some of those be left alone? Had a hard time finding info online...

In general, I'm looking for plants that chickens will leave alone...flowers or food. Our back yard is currently very bare because I never know what will survive the free ranging fluffy dinos, but will also not poison them. Ideas appreciated.

I'm zone 7b.
They seem to leave holly alone and supposedly there’s some herbs they leave alone but I can’t remember what they are. I think rosemary is one. Daffodils seem to get left alone. Okra plants too and long the they are past the seedling stage. Iris.
The wild onions in our back yard do seem to get left alone by the chickens, so hope it works for you! I have a small amount of chicken wire leftover...maybe I can rig up a small protected area for my tropical spices, at least until the plants are established.

But are there any people on here with nice looking yards with chickens? I see photos online of chickens wandering between lovely flowers and shrubs, but not at all sure how to get started or if the photos are just staged and those chickens don't actually free range there.
Big yard, few chickens. They leave most of our plants alone but that’s because it’s 13 chickens with a few acres. The area by the coop will always be a mess though.

They seem to leave holly alone and supposedly there’s some herbs they leave alone but I can’t remember what they are. I think rosemary is one. Daffodils seem to get left alone. Okra plants too and long the they are past the seedling stage. Iris.

Big yard, few chickens. They leave most of our plants alone but that’s because it’s 13 chickens with a few acres. The area by the coop will always be a mess though.
Thanks, I'll look into herbs and bulbs. Not looking for "garden of the year," just something a bit less bare and ugly. We only have a few chickens and about 4,500 sq feet in the back yard I'd estimate. I learned last year that hostas were a bad choice back there...the chickens ate them like a salad. And the dog thought I planted them to be his personal dog bed.

I cannot believe with your allergies that you were a scent tester! The thought of that makes my eyes itch & nose run. :gig
The neighbors dog would steal it here. They haul off all kinds of things. Empty feed buckets, sheets drying on the fence, Amazon packages.... :he
My dog would kill it in a heartbeat. He goes after the robot vacuum as soon as I turn my back & goes insane if DH takes out the RC cars.

Back
Top Bottom