What did you do in the garden today?

Good luck with the project @Acre4Me. I discovered the best way to deal with the wallpaper was to score it lightly then soak it with just plain water. I’m all finished with removing it and will start painting tomorrow. I do have a commercial type scorer but it can leave deep marks in the wall. Then you have to cover the score marks before painting. Too much extra work. After this paint job I can get to work on the cabinets. Skipping raising chicks this year frees up time to complete house projects. My goal is to get all this remodeling stuff before I turn 70 and I’m running out of time. Then there’s the garden of course.

Didn’t get as much done as I wanted I ended up spending most of the day washing seed starting pots, baking and organizing my seed stash. While going through my seed stash I found some marigolds and other seeds that I’d forgotten to start so
I had to wash pots for them. Then I made a batch of hard candy with pecans, brownies and baked oatmeal muffins. I only got maybe a 1-1/2ft of fence done. I did get the marigolds and spinach started. Weeded the spinach, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and collards. And worked the soil for the beets, carrots and chard.

got my list done.
Taking out the old nest box and putting in the new ones was a bigger chore than I planned. The yuck I breathed in. I dread to think.
There were old rodent nests behind the old boxes. The new set up allows for no hidey mouse holes.
They've already found the new boxes and are using them. So yay, not that they have a choice.
I'll take the old set up the hill with the tractor and put it out for the rubbish man.
It took many trips walking up and down the hill. UGH.
I put a rack in the popup green house, but would like a second set. SO next trip to HomeDepot.
The seeds for this year have now been sorted and labeled for when and where I need to plant them.
Croissants are slow rising in the fridge for tomorrow.
=========
Tomorrow - I'll haul the old chicken stuff up the hill, and then mask up and rake out the barn of the winter hay spills That is wind dependent though. Too windy and it's too hard to do.
I'm slowly working towards cleaning the shop and the garage for spring.
I say that now, but I can already tell I'm going to be sore tomorrow from all the bending, leaning, and squatting today.

The garden needs weeded and mulched. Man, the list never ends, does it?!

Nothing in the garden today. Yesterday I receive the two native plums I ordered through Gurneys. I need to get them planted tomorrow. Three are about 3ft tall, but just sticks with roots. They look dormant, but healthy. I think they'll do fine.
I also need to get working on taking down the swing set and building a new one on the other side of the yard. Lumber prices are not coming down though, so that's going to hurt the wallet...

I hear you on the lumber prices @BReeder! There's been quite a jump in prices over the past two years. I did some editing on my garden plan and added cabbages and chard to the backyard garden. That gets more shade so perhaps it will do well there. I managed to finish scraping all the wallpaper off the hallway walls. I was going to skip the ceiling, but I will start painting that then go down the walls. Aside from the "decorative" border on the bedroom wall, my house is finally free of wallpaper. What wasn't brown wood in this house when I bought it was wallpaper hell. There's still lots of painting to do. My bedroom walls, all the doors and trim and touch ups in the sunroom. Other than painting my kitchen cabinets I'll be holding off on the countertops and flooring until after my patio gets a makeover. But I'm leaving that to my contractor. So I'm not sure if it's a sign of Spring or just over eager chipmunks that just had to escape their underground bunkers. Upon returning from her morning walk, DD's little dog was delighted to have a chipmunk greet her on the front step. I've seen two of them scampering all over the frozen tundra in the backyard and the garden. Very cute.

Can I call do over on today please??
This is my first day off in weeks. I was going to sew or weave this morning after enjoying my coffee on the deck.
However, DH had to pop to an out of town meeting for the day, and it fell upon me to do the morning chores, which instead of taking 20 minutes, took 2.5 hours. I had to remove a skunk from the barn, which I had to move 1500 pounds of hay, one bale at a time. I still need to put them back, but it's going to wait until I get a shower, and make my croissants.
The UPside of it is that it was snuggled up behind the empty feed bin, which DH refills on Saturday mornings. There is NO WAY he would have heard it shifting back there when he would have been out. Not with the loader and the big bags. (I have ears like a bat and the nose of a hound. I smelled it yesterday, but thought it had just passed through.)
Had DH been doing the chores today, he would have had a face full of skunk butt.
He did spray in the barn, and it definitely cleared my sinus'. Glad I hadn't had breakfast yet.
Oh well. I had planned to clean the barn this weekend anyway.
Still need to dispose of the darn thing.

garden shopping:

Walmart does not have any starter cells AT ALL. Only 1 brand of seeds. Luckily don't need any seeds. Garden section is about half the size of last year - but maybe they are putting more outside?? I went out there, but still seemed noticeably less than last year.

Menards: good stock and selection of seeds, starter items, etc Bought a portable greenhouse as it was a good price. It is only a shelf type unit with a plastic cover, but I've used similar ones before and they work for me.

Lowes: good stock of most things, but less variety than usual.

TSC: The ONLY starter cells they had were these Burpee reusable ones - look similar to the silicone bottomed ice cube trays, but with holes for drainage. The idea being that when you want to transplant, you push up from the bottom to remove the plant to plant in the ground. Only the bottom is flexible, and up about 1/4" of the sides. Typical selection of seeds. Only one bottle of Bt caterpillar concentrate, so I bought it. Easter colored Bell Waterers for the chickens, so I bought some. I've found the best way for the chickens to reliably get fresh water in non-frozen months is to have many bell waterers so that a fresh one can be filled and placed in run, old gets removed and set aside for cleaning. If we have several, its not a rush to clean and kids more reliably at least get the first step done: give them fresh water in a clean waterer.

Hunt for Insect cover: unsuccessful. Need to purchase online.

Back
Top Bottom